WTB: Used Main (for cruising/daysailing)

SJ21 Parts and Accessories For Sale
Roamer
WTB: Used Main (for cruising/daysailing)

Post by Roamer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:04 pm

Believe it or not, when I bought my old MkI (hull #162) last fall, it came with the original sails from 1972! They have no rips, but the main is blown out, I think. I'm able to pull the main halyard tight, but the head is clear up against the sheave, and the boom downhauls so far that the gooseneck is right against the downhaul cleat. The foot is the same way. I can pull the clew right out against the block at the end of the boom. Still, the main has a huge belly in it.

Anyone have a spare they can sell?

Thx, George

kuriti

Re: WTB: Used Main (for cruising/daysailing)

Post by kuriti » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:59 pm

That sounds like a mis-matched sail, but i may be wrong. i am also still on my original sails and they still have plenty of room in boom height and outhaul. The belly is definitely rounding with age, but whose doesn't. I have been meaning to replace for the last 3 years, but it always gets deferred. sometimes i hope for a big rip.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:19 pm

kuriti, my sails were made by Boston (now Doyle), and the main has the logo and hull number on it, so I think they were made for the boat originally. Just really stretched out! Since I've received no response to my query about used sails, I'm going to try to get a few more years out of my old one. Over the winter, I'm going to have Sailcare recut the main to reduce the roach in the luff. I took it over to them on Friday, and they were surprised at the size of the roach.

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Clark had their own sail making shop, and i've never seen any "originals" that weren't Clark logo'd, but my boat is older than I am, and i've only been sailing it for 8 years, so maybe someone else has seen a different manufacturer as the OEM:)

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:51 pm

cklamp: my boat is from New Bern... Could New Bern have used non-Clark sails, since Clark's loft was in the PNW? Boston Sails' loft was in Michigan, 1/2 the distance.

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:47 pm

I have no idea about the Boston sails, but I am pretty sure mine was built in New Bern since I bought it in Virginia and it has Clark sails. Mine was built in 1976. That doesn't really matter though, there were a lot of these size boats made back then and no reason they wouldn't have tried different vendors. As long as it moves the boat!