Boat Restoration Complete!!!!

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
kuriti
Boat Restoration Complete!!!!

Post by kuriti » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:18 am

Well, at long last my rebuild is complete. I know I have gone radio silence since last winter when I was figuring out how to drop the keel, but I kept working on her. I had to take a break over the summer as we moved into a new house and I got a promotion, so the boat sat at the marina on the trailer with one half primered. I am sure my marina neighbors loved that.

Man, am I sick of working on the boat. Here are a few things I did over the last year:

-Complete transom rebuild- I put some pics up on that previously
-Stripped off all hardware in prep for paint
-Dropped the keel
-Sanded down everything including non-skid. This was probably the most ridiculously tedious and difficult task of all, though painting comes in a close second.
-2 coats primer, 2 coats finish on bottom. I used Interlux Brightsides.
-3 coats primer, 4 coats finish on top. This was actually an accident. I used gray primer for the first 2, then realized it would be hard to cover with white finish, so I put a 3 coat of white primer on. Should have put 2 white primer coats though, because the grey still showed through until the 4th coat of finish. What a pain in the ass.
-All new non-skid. I bought 2 cans of the expensive petit additive, until I figured out how much it would take and ended up buying “shark grip” additive from Sherman Williams for a fraction of the cost. I then mixed the two. Turned out great.
-All new hardware bedded with 4200. All through holes have been drilled and filled. I replaced just about everything but the chain plates (but those were pulled and the deck drilled/filled last year) and other things I had replaced just last year. All new stainless bolts throughout. I had already re-riveted the mast last year.
-I also had already replaced all standing and running rigging
-I used a stencil to put on the name and registration number. Basically I created the graphics in Powerpoint, printed them, then used an exacto knife to cut them from some stencil paper. I started with Martha Stewarts stencil paper from Kmart, but it was not a good thing. Unfortunately, I used it for most of the work before discovering plain old contact paper for shelves, the clear kind. It was significantly easier to work with and left sharper lines.
-New teak handrails. I replaced the runners on for the companionway hatches as well, but I used Ipe wood. That stuff is amazing and much cheaper than teak. Hard as a rock and heavier than aluminum of equal size.
-I created new windows from a sheet of ¼ inch plexiglass I bought for only $130. had plenty left over so I also made a companionway hatch. It’s pretty, but I think I am going to make some wood core/fiberglass drop boards that are less flexible and thus safer on a day that I actually need them.
-I replaced the trailer bunks and new carpet. New tires, lights and had already re-built hubs and new leaf springs last year. New rollers as well.
-Painfully reinserted the keel. I replaced the block and hardware on the keel with the same model Ronstan wire rope block. I think I might do a write up on this as it was very difficult and I haven’t seen anything that is very comprehensive about removing it and replacing the keel.
-I used a headknocker last year and have returned to the original mainsheet set up. I just didn’t like the headknocker, felt it jammed too easily and I don’t race, so all new Garhauer blocks and mainsheet on the floor.
-I am not yet finished with the rudder, but I am lightening it by cutting big holes in the aluminum plates and cutting out some of the wood block. I will use aluminum channel to make up the gap. Replacing the bungee on the kick up mechanism. I know I need to replace the tiller to match all the new teak, but I am just toast at this point and the wife will kill me if I spend any more money or much more time on this.

I can’t really calculate the number of hours I spent on this. I truly had almost no help other than the tolerance and support of my family. The kids would help hold a through fitting bolt or a neighbor would watch me as I cranked the boat up and down on the lift. 3-7 hour Saturdays and Sundays were common as well as a few hours during the week. Garage looks like a bomb went off and I have to clean it up next.

But, the boat looks bad ass!! Really happy with how it turned out and am ready to get her on the water as soon as it warms up a little and I my work quits punishing me with travel. I expect I will re-do the interior next winter. I may be in the market for some lightly used sails if any racers are looking to upgrade. 1-2 seasons only please. Probably not until march though.

I want to thank everyone who contributes to this board and maintains it. I got an SJ21 because of the support I saw here and yall have been great at helping me out when I needed it. For anyone thinking of restoring one of these, maybe this can be proof it can be done.

So here she is!
Last edited by kuriti on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Krysia Ry

Re: Boat Restoration Complete!!!!

Post by Krysia Ry » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:29 am

Holy MOly Dude, that is one purty creature. Nice Job!
Bill

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:16 am

Kuriti, that looks great... good job man! I know you don't race, but that boat would look amazing among a Fleet of other 21's:)

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

gleninst

Post by gleninst » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Very nice job. Just curious, how did you secure the plexi windows? Thanx.

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks guys. I am not philosophically opposed to racing, just haven't gotten there yet. Probably as my son gets older...

Glenist, i found this article very helpful on the portlights:

http://www.sailmagazine.com/boatworks/r ... portlights

And a good sight on cutting plexiglass:
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plasti ... Plexiglass

Really i need to thank the internet. I truly don't think i could have done this 10 years ago just from a knowledge perspective.

gleninst

Post by gleninst » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks much----both articles are very helpful.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:15 am

So lovely, it's actually exciting to see. Congratulations on a real accomplishment.

Steve Blumer
Calgary

Holstein

Post by Holstein » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Amazing Job,

Can you tell me where you got the plexi/lexan from ?

Thanks
-Bill

Holstein

Post by Holstein » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Oh, and what is "LPE wood", that you used for the companion way runner ?

Thanks
-Bill

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:26 pm

Holstein wrote:Oh, and what is "LPE wood", that you used for the companion way runner ?

Thanks
-Bill
I think it was IPE (a hardwood) wood actually, and a bing or scroogle search yields lots of information. Seems like neat wood.

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu