Rudder re-build

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
kuriti
Rudder re-build

Post by kuriti » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:35 pm

Hey all,

Well, Snowmageddon has struck here in Raleigh. I am getting cabin fever, so I thought I would do a quick write up on what I did to my rudder should anyone else need the info. Mine has been a kick up rudder and since I was refurbishing the boat, I had to do the rudder as well. I decided to put it on a diet and cut out large chunks of the cheek plates and sliced the teak plank up accordingly. I added an additional bolt and used aluminum square tubes for spacers where the plank was no longer there. When I took off the cheeks (aluminum), where they touched the pintels (stainless) had been pitted and oxidized. I sanded and stripped everything down to bare metal and primed with an aluminum spray primer I found at an autoparts store. couple of coats of primer, then finished it with the brightsides I used on the boat. the rudder got sanded, filled, fared and painted. the tiller was weathered teak, but a light sanding made it look new again along with some teak oil. when i put it back together, I used an old bicycle inter tube to create some rubber gaskets between the pintels and the cheek plates to avoid future oxidation. I also used an empty orange juice container to make some plastic washer-like spacers between the rudder and the cheek plates with hopes to reduce wear. the piece that really worked out was an impulse buy at home depot. I needed to replace the bungee cord for the kick up rudder, so I grabbed one that looked long enough and looked for some bull ring clips. couldn't find the clips, so I was going to just fashion something else. When I got to assembling it though, I realized the bungee cord fit perfectly and the one I grabbed had an excellent mechanism to allow it to be adjustable on the fly. see the pics below.
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (95.52KiB)Viewed 9295 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (92KiB)Viewed 9295 times