SJ 21 Eastern Commodore Update 3 June 2014

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
RLDommel
SJ 21 Eastern Commodore Update 3 June 2014

Post by RLDommel » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:21 pm

The Executive Committee, during the conf call last night, approved the Fleet #8 bid to hold the 2015 San Juan 21 North American Championships on the Neuse River sailing out of the Blackbeard Sailing Club (Fairfield Harbour, New Bern). The dates for the regatta as of now are 10-14 June so please mark your calendars. Some of you may want to come early to the regatta and do some cruising on the Neuse River. A popular destination for dinner is Oriental, NC. Thanks to Doug Longhini and the Fleet #8 team and associated groups for making the commitment to stage a memorable regatta for us.

If you want to see some great photos of SJ’s in action go to the South Atlantic Yacht Racing Assn (SAYRA) web site. It’s great to see the photos on the home page and is great advertising for the class: http://www.sayra-sailing.com/ I wonder what kind of captions could be written for the “Squirrels on the Highway” photo…

Reminder that the 2014 Eastern Nationals will be held 29-31 August at the Lake Norman Yacht Club. Once again, a major attraction will be that “can of percussion!”

In the meantime, there is usually number of SJ’s at the 4th July regatta at LNYC on 5-6 July. The fireworks displays in the past have been pretty impressive.

Then in August is the Fishing Bay Yacht Club Annual One Design Regatta to be held 9-10 August. FBYC is the home port of our class measurer Mike Chesser. Mike is working on building the fleet there so we like to have a good turnout of SJ’s for Mike.

In the fall is the great “Outback Regatta” at Columbia Sailing Club 20-21 Sept.

Western Carolina Sailing Club will be hosting “The Hospice Regatta” on 17-19 Oct.

And then, at CSC is the annual “Midlands Regatta” scheduled for 8-9 Nov. that wraps up the sailing season for most of us in the Lake Murray area.

I know there will be other regattas elsewhere, so please let me know and I will publish in next month’s blurb.

One of the items that the Executive Committee is doing now is to post the minutes of the EC conference calls on the web site so our membership can read about the issues and the action taken by the EC.

Our class membership has increased by over 30% since the end of last year. We now have 133 members as of last night.

I have received notice of several Juans for sale.

Ed Low of Emporia, VA is asking $1,200.00 for the boat, working sales, genoa jib, 4 hp. Evenrude motor and trailer. Contac Ed at elow@parkeroilcompany.com

Doc Palancia of Jacksonville, NC has a SJ 21 for sale. Contact Doc at: vpalancia@ec.rr.com

I am sorry to hear from Gaines “Pappy” Grantham, who sails on Lake Waccamaw, that due to carpet tunnel problems he can’t “pull the strings” any more on his SJ’s so he has put them up for sale. #700 (all sails) is $2000. # 2121, with motor, is $1500.Contact Pappy at: pappy700@nc.rr.com

For those who are interested, I am hosting an Advanced Race Management Seminar at CSC on 19-20 July. I encourage Juaners to become involved in doing RC work because one of things it does for you is that it makes you a “smarter” sailor while you support of the sport of sailing.

The summer sailing season is now here on Lake Murray and instead of sailing during the heat of the day we have evening pursuit races, a 33 mile overnight race, and other fun ones like single handed and couples only races. This reminds me to check out my running lights and my bright hand held search light (very useful to help slow down a high speed powerboat coming at you in the dead of night).

Cheers, (\ <----- SJ 21 "White Knuckles" (\_ (\_ (\_
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dick Dommel Home: 803.438.1993 Cell: 803.414.4300

kuriti

Re: SJ 21 Eastern Commodore Update 3 June 2014

Post by kuriti » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Okay, I am finally throwing down the gauntlet (or at least a tin cup). After having watched a race on the Pamlico/Pungo river this year, my son and I are going to start racing soon. Might make the August regatta and will definitely be at the US Nationals next summer. Let the embarrassment begin!

Capndar

Post by Capndar » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:40 am

Why wait? Come to the eastern nationals at lake Norman THIS Labor Day!

Mike R
#1694 ragtop

LNYC.ORG

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:38 am

I think we might!