E Commodore Update 1 August 2014

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
RLDommel
E Commodore Update 1 August 2014

Post by RLDommel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:05 pm

SJ 21 E Commodore Update 1 August 2014
The early entry deadline for the Fishing Bay Yacht Club One Design Regatta (9, 10 Aug.), located at Deltaville, VA on the Chesapeake Bay, is this Monday 4 August. Go to http://www.FBYC.net to register and save $20. Later in this memo I will insert a blurb from our class measurer Mike Chesser about some extracurricular activity before the event.

As we all know the 2014 SJ 21 Eastern Nationals will be held Labor Day Weekend at the Lake Norman Yacht Club. The late registration fee kicks in on 21 August. Go to http://www.lnyc.org/ now to register.

Boat and sail measurement will be Friday morning. If your boat has a current measurement document you will be able to pass measurement. If your sails have a previous measurement stamp they will not have to be measured. In order to be scored for the regatta you need to be a paid up member of the class and complete the measurement process.

There is a practice race planned starting at 1400 on Friday and, of course, there is the dinner and entertainment at the Shoals grill Friday featuring Mike Robinson’s famous “Bucket of Percussion.”

On Saturday, immediately following the Competitors Meeting at 1015, our National Meeting will be held.
Two items are on the table.
Vote on E. Commodore for 2015
Receive bids on future National events.
At this time there is no other “new business” or “old business.” If there is a “new business” item to be voted on then it must be submitted to me with written support discussion by 7 August to give time for the info to be published. Nominations for next year’s E. Commodore must also be received by 7 August.

Doug Longhini has been nominated by Fleet #8 members to become SJ 21 Eastern Commodore effective 1 January 2015. Doug has been a great supporter of the class for many years. With Fleet #8, hosting the 2015 North Americans, having Doug as E. Commodore is a very good fit.

The Executive Committee would like to receive bids for these events:

2016 Eastern Nationals (Lake Waccamaw is interested)
2017 NA’s & E. Nat’l
2018 Eastern Nationals

Following is a recent FBYC Invite from Mike Chesser:

It is only about 2 weeks before the Fishing Bay Yacht Club 75nd Annual One Design Regatta on Aug 9 - 10. If you haven't already registered, please note that early registration closes on 8/4. After that, there is an additional $20 late registration fee.
Those who were here in the past few years can tell you what great time we had and we hope you will join us this year. Fishing Bay puts on a terrific regatta so please make your plans now to join us. Below is a link to the FBYC website where you can easily find the link to the regatta on the left side of the webpage.
http://www.fbyc.net/
Online registration is STRONGLY encouraged. The webpage has been undergoing updates so it may not recognize you from previous years, but the process is simple and payments are now handled a couple of ways, including PayPal if you have it. If you are new to the registration process, just follow the link on the regatta page to get started. Just a few details:
Registration fee $95 (includes Registration, 2 dinners)
Dinner Sat $15 (extra Adult dinner)
Youth Dinner $12
This year's event again promises to be great and you can indicate Working Sails or All Sails fleets during the registration process. We will need at least 7 boats in each class for a start. If we do not have enough, everyone will sail Working Sails. You can also view pre-registered participants to see how the fleets are rounding out. (If you have a 130, please bring it. If everyone has one, we may have an option to sail Working Sails also using the larger headsail if everyone agrees.)
Please plan to bring an outboard for getting out of the rather tricky dredged channel. For those who have been here before you know that accommodations immediately in Deltaville are limited, but there are several options nearby if you want to avoid the heat. A link to accommodations can be found on the event webpage or here:
http://www.fbyc.net/Events/2014/08.09.o ... mmodations
Tent camping is available on the club grounds by the East Bathhouse, but please note that RV's and Campers are allowed ONLY by advance request to the Club Manager Dixon Cole (dixon@va.metrocast.net) or Rear Commodore Ted Bennett (tbennett@ideaweavers.com ).
As Nancy and I have done for the last several years, we would again like to invite any SJ's interested to come up to our house in Disputanta, VA on Friday, Aug 8th, for dinner and an overnight before the regatta. We have plenty of room to park the boats at the house with a few beds available and LOTS of floor space for air mattresses, etc. For those that have not already launched, we can then caravan up to the club on Saturday morning (about 1.5 hrs away) to prep and launch in time for a 0900 Skippers Meeting. Dommel note: If you plan to come be sure to E-mail Mike at: mschesser@gmail.com and get his house address and if you have an older GPS get the coordinates for the house.
If we have another large turnout, I will again spend much of the day on Friday, 8/8, at the club hoping to launch as many SJ's as possible that day to reduce the number that will need to be launched on Saturday before the 0900 Skippers meeting and 1100 Warning, so if you want to launch on Friday, please let me know. I will be returning to my home late Friday afternoon to host the dinner at our house, so anyone interested can also follow me down.
I am already registered and I hope many of you can make it this year. To help with the planning, please let me know if you are thinking about coming so I can begin to get a headcount...either for the regatta or the dinner at our house, or both. If you know that you cannot make it this year, let me know that as well, and we hope you can join us next year.
Please let me know if you have any questions. We look forward to hearing from you.
If we have left anyone off the distribution, please forward this note to them on our behalf.
Mike, Nancy, and Laura Chesser 804 541 1124(h 804 691 2028 (c

I hope to see a lot of you there and at Lake Norman.

A maintenance item: If you have a rubber universal on your tiller extension stick be sure to examine it often to see if there are any cracks starting to develop in the rubber. If cracks are seen, then you better think about replacing it.

Dick Dommel SJ 21 #1085 White Knuckles

Capndar

Re: E Commodore Update 1 August 2014

Post by Capndar » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:54 pm

TWO WEEKS TO GO till the ENATS 2014 at LNYC

The NOR and Registration are active at LNYC.ORG

We are excited to see all our SJ friends and family.

Mike R
#1694 Ragtop

Capndar

Re: E Commodore Update 1 August 2014

Post by Capndar » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:44 pm

This is a great opportunity for new boat owners to come and 'meet the experts' and see how many other boats are rigged.

As a prospective owner, I came to the 1984 Nationals in New Bern to better understand what to look for in a boat.

Mike R
#1694 Ragtop