Broken Keel Cable

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
sailsquareboats
Broken Keel Cable

Post by sailsquareboats » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:46 am

I broke my keel cable at the end of my last sail. Had to crank the boat onto the trailer. So now the boat is on the trailer with the keel resting on a trailer roller.
First - Any info on where to get a new keel cable?
Second - Looks like it is going to be hard to thread the new cable with the keel almost full up. Any tips?
Lastly - Looks like the keel sustained a little damage from cranking the boat onto the trailer. Was thinking of just fairing it out with Marine Tex. Any comments?

Thanks!

JimW

Re: Broken Keel Cable

Post by JimW » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:41 pm

Talk to Stephen at:
http://www.sjsailboats.com/parts.php

I replaced a cable with the keel up and don't recall it being too difficult, but it was a while ago and I may have forgotten the details. I also replaced the block at the same time and remember I had to drill a small hole in the side of the trunk to remove that bolt.

Marine Tex is probably fine, though I have struggled to use that stuff in the past--very sticky/messy but finishes well after you sand it.
former 1979 mkII #2263 "Gabriola"

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:06 am

I don't use cable anymore, just spectra/dynema atv tow ropes. They have greater strength and are more flexible. You should have no problem re-threading the line on the trailer. It starts below the block on the mast support post, goes in the trunk to the keel block, then back to the mast post block and then up to the winch. I don't know what marine tex is, but I use west system epoxy with fairing powder or colloidal silica for repairs on fiberglass. If you don't own some you will eventually, so might as well start now. That or bondo, but paint either of them when you are done.

sailsquareboats

Post by sailsquareboats » Wed May 03, 2017 7:50 am

Thanks for the replies.
I ended up using MarineTex. Seemed to work well. I will try West System next time I need to do a repair.

Shuswap

Post by Shuswap » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi there, saw the topic about broken keel cable, and I have the same problem. Can you just thread a new cable in using the old one as a "pull rope", so without having to open things up or take the keel out, things like that?
Thanks very much, (just getting started on this forum, and it's great).

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Possibly, depends on where the cable broke. Just open up the viewing port (the piece of wood screwed on top) and you shouldn't have a problem figuring it out.You definitely don't have to drop the keel to change the cable.

Shuswap

Post by Shuswap » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:41 pm

The cable broke right at the winch, easily accessible, so will give the "pull through" technique a go, once I get a new cable.
Appreciate the reply.