Keel bolt replacement?

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
corbinstein
Keel bolt replacement?

Post by corbinstein » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Has anyone came up with a way to replace the Keel Pivot Bolt without removing the keel or putting the boat up on jacks?
considering hanging the keel inside the boat and removing the bolt if I can get it out to replace...
pretty sure it's bent.

TomD

Re: Keel bolt replacement?

Post by TomD » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:45 pm

The boat yard that worked on my keel jacked up the boat and trailer together. Then they supported the boat and lowered the trailer. This gave them room to remove the keel and work on fixing the broken head. You may be able to do something similar.

San Juan Sailboats

Post by San Juan Sailboats » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:29 pm

You can remove the keel bolt without jacking up the trailer.
You will need to balance the weight of the keel on some sort of stand or trailer part on the aft end and the cable on the forward end. Once the weight is off the keel bolt, it should slide out OK.

Now if your bolt is bent, things may be different.

One thing to think about. If your keel does not sit parallel to the hull when full up, (verify your bolt is straight) your pivot hole is most likely worn. To repair this requires the keel to be pulled out.
This can be done simply on some trailers. If there are no cross braces keeping the keel from dropping out it will be easy. On Charmed Juan's trailer, the axle is in the way but it is a bolt on and can be dropped and slid out of the way.
Once that is done, you can jack up the trailer and put blocks under it to raise the boat and trailer. I built a simple dolly out of 2x4's with casters to accept the keel and then roll it out from under the trailer.

Here are a couple of articles I wrote on Keels and Lifting the boat.

http://www.sj21fleet1.org/tips-and-tricks/keels

http://www.sj21fleet1.org/tips-and-tric ... -a-trailer
Stephen Jensen

San Juan Sailboats
Stephen@SJSailboats.com

Eddie10

Post by Eddie10 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:25 am

Where I keep my boat, has many deficiences but among its best points is the use of a very good hydraulic trolley system for moving boats about. The boat sits in its cradle on 3 or 4 sleeper-sized timbers. These sit on the trolley for moving and then on some blocks to allow the trolley to be lowered and slid out. This gives about 50-60cm clearance between the bottom of the keel and the ground. Even on a Folkboat with keelbolts the longest of which is a bit under a metre they can only be removed by knocking downwards and cutting them off piecemeal as it were. Removing old keelbolts can be quite time consuming and you need to be prepared to make other repairs as for example floors may be damaged in the process.
If you could have your cradle chocked up in this way it might make your job easier.
A friend who is replacing keelbolts on a restoration of a Folkboat has had new bolts made up in the appropriate lengths from steel rod, threaded at both ends. The bolts will be inserted from inside the boat, nuts fitted outside, probably with strong thread sealant, then tightened inside the boat.