Bimini?

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
kingtoros
Bimini?

Post by kingtoros » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Has anyone used a bimini on their San Juan before? I haven't rigged her fully yet (tracking to this Saturday) and was thinking the boom position may be adjustable, or high enough to allow for a bimini at least while motoring.

Googling revealed some photos, but would love to hear about San Juan skippers' experiences.

Gman377

Re: Bimini?

Post by Gman377 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 am

I would love a bimini top cover but we have to duck our heads every time we tack and we have our main sail at the 'black line' on the mast. There are others here with more experience than me though so I could be wrong. Good luck!

kuriti

Re: Bimini?

Post by kuriti » Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 am

I used to think a lot about it, but have largely given up. There’s not much room between the boom and the mainsheet. I once considered having my sails altered by having the top foot or two cut off and a batten installed, which would give it a look of a catamaran sail. That will allow you to bring the boom up however much you alter the sail. I figured if I bought the sails I could use the old ones as cruising sails, but that never happened. Instead I bought a big hat and some thin cotton long sleeve shirts at the Goodwill. :D