Thunderstorms and Sailboats

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
Gman377
Thunderstorms and Sailboats

Post by Gman377 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Hello everybody again, I am spending the night on the San Juan 21 and I’ve got thunderstorms passing through. I see some lightning strikes and it got me wondering, how safe is the San Juan 21 of the mast gets hit by lightning. Has anyone had this happen yet? I definitely figured during a thunderstorm to stay away from the compression post and my steel bulkheads. I am a little scared of the 3 gallon portable gas tank that I usually keep in the cockpit outside. I’ve done a bit of research online and have read where it blows out electronics but I also read in a couple of instances where a blew out small holes in the hull. Wish me luck because I am anchored out here in a thunderstorm right now. I don’t mean to be so grim but I guess if I’m going out in a sailboat then that’s not too bad of a way to go! :|

kingtoros

Re: Thunderstorms and Sailboats

Post by kingtoros » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Gman! Please reply to this post noting your safety through the storm. Sailboats are not a place you want to be during a thunderstorm. Had I seen this sooner I would have suggested you get to shore as quickly as possible.

My wife and I went out between storm cells and having read the same articles you probably found, thought it best to motor back in and secure for the day.

Gman377

Post by Gman377 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Hey thanks for the quick reply! I actually just motored back to the dock and I am anchored next to the dock waiting for the storm to pass. I have been out in some decent stuff but this was a very large pop-up thunderstorm. If I do happen to sink I’ve got my life jacket and my wet bag all ready to go. I’ve got about a 20 foot swim to get to the concrete dock where I put in here at Watts bar lake. It kind of makes me wish I had a slip now but I love my trailer sailors!

kingtoros

Post by kingtoros » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:14 pm

So.. um.. What happened?

Gman377

Post by Gman377 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:31 am

Well I made it out alive! There were lightning strikes everywhere and I decided to pull in near the dock where there were some tall trees in hopes that the trees were taller than my mast. I ended up staying out for three days on the boat. We had some small pop-up thunderstorms during the next few days and every time one of those would come near us I would motor in to a cove with trees taller than my mast. I would always put the keel up halfway and get as close as I could to the shore. From what I read on lots of forums they say to get inside the boat and definitely stay away from anything metal. Since I have metal bulkheads and of course the compression post I would just get near the cockpit wall. I know the safest thing to do is to pull the boat out but every time a pop-up shower comes along I just cannot see breaking everything down to watch a thunderstorm passes in 30 minutes. I camp out for usually three to four days at a time. If anyone has any suggestions I would definitely like to hear them! Thank you Kingtoros for getting back with me!

kingtoros

Post by kingtoros » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:51 am

Well, I am really glad you have survived the storms!

I was worried for a minute but couldn't find any news stories depicting your untimely demise afloat, so I was reassured somewhat lol

As you probably already know, rain is not an issue, thunder and lightning are. I'm not outdoorsy enough, nor am I an experienced enough sailor to advise on lightning strikes on the water... Just glad you're okay!

-Toros

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:33 pm

Not a lot to do but stay away from metal. If it wants you bad enough, it won’t matter, so just take the opportunity to have a drink and enjoy the storm.

Gman377

Post by Gman377 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:17 am

Kuriti That was my philosophy exactly! And that’s exactly what I did!