Use of Chute Scoop for Spinnaker

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
sailsquareboats
Use of Chute Scoop for Spinnaker

Post by sailsquareboats » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know of anyone ever using a "chute scoop" with their spinnaker for class racing? We re a two person crew and one of us does not have spinnaker experience, so I thought the chute scoop would be a good idea.

I have read the class handbook and bylaws. I can't find any rule that would appear to prohibit use of the chute scoop. Does anyone know if this has come up in the class before?

Thanks,

Pete

Juan Fine Day, SJ 21 #1264

Mojo899

Re: Use of Chute Scoop for Spinnaker

Post by Mojo899 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:04 pm

I believe Tim Lynch used one. Not sure if the boat is still racing.

The chute was custom built out of the front hatch.

I don't remember anyone complaining about the use of the Chute.

The biggest downside to a chute up front like that is if you get waves over your bow it will flood the boat.

However another option is to oversize your sheets a little and run the kite back to the cockpit. Kermit has a kite bag that gets pulled in to the companion way for launching and dousing.

Having a launch bag out of the companion way allows for you to do many different douse techniques depending on the situation. And you wouldn't need to be up on the fore deck for anything if you have long enough arms to control the pole from the companion way as well.

I will see about getting some pictures of this during western nationals in Chelan this week.

sailsquareboats

Post by sailsquareboats » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:35 am

Thanks!

yeah, I don't want to launch from the front hatch. Would definitely launch from the cockpit/companionway.

Mojo899

Post by Mojo899 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:37 pm

Yeah, that would be fully legal to do. Just make sure to watch as the kite goes up that it doesn't catch on your stays.

sailsquareboats

Post by sailsquareboats » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:22 am

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:19 pm

One boat in our Calgary fleet set up a launcher on the deck...basically a sausage bag. Not wanting others to feel that was cheating, he stopped using it. But it did work.

Perhaps we should ask the Class Measurer for a ruling on a scoop or other whatever method.

Rob

Post by Rob » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:07 pm

Hello ... it is that time of the year (snowing and 25 degrees) when I go wandering around sailing sites. I happened upon this thread and thought I would chime in. I did build a spinnaker chute on one of my San Juan 21's. As I remember ... it worked pretty well once I taught my crew how to use it. The one thing you have to remember with such a setup is to anticipate your next set and douse on that side. (setting to weather is a real hassle)

Looking at the pictures, I do remember there being some issues attaching an "umbilical" cord to the middle of the chute. I considered a system that involves two cords to enable a smaller under deck storage bag. With one cord you have to have a bag long enough for the distance between the middle of the chute and the head of the sail (in order to insure it is fully stored under the deck)

I had also rigged a spinnaker pole that stayed hooked up and lived on the boom when it was not deployed. All of this was standard stuff on 505's etc..

All that said ... I can remember some grumbling when I showed up at the north americans in Kansas with this rig. I would confirm (in writing) with the current class measurer that they approve.

All and all ... I think we decided it would be simpler to just get better at setting the chute out of the cabin companionway.

Attached are some photos of the unit ... hope they're helpful.

Best regards to the class ....

Rob Anderson
Moscow Idaho
The attachment chute07.jpg is no longer available
download/file.php?mode=view&id=364

download/file.php?mode=view&id=365
Attachments
chute07.jpg
chute07.jpg (43.4KiB)Viewed 23026 times

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:05 pm

For some reason two additional photos didn't make it on the original post ....
chute06.jpg
chute06.jpg (34.8KiB)Viewed 23009 times
The attachment chute06.jpg is no longer available

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:06 pm

[attachment=0]IMGP3363.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMGP3363.JPG
IMGP3363.JPG (62.62KiB)Viewed 23009 times

Gman377

Post by Gman377 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:45 am

That is awesome! Did you build that out of fiberglass?