Hey, this board is still alive! And, anyone need parts?

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
skills4lou
Re: Hey, this board is still alive! And, anyone need parts?

Post by skills4lou » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:24 pm

Located just outside Frenchtown, MT (59834). I have a title for the boat, but not the trailer (Previous owner can't find it, is supposed to send when she finds it but plan on no title). The tires have a little weather checking, but not bad. Bearings are good, fresh grease, lights work (4-flat connector).

I have a guy local wanting just the boat to make a playhouse for his kids. So, if anyone wants it, please speak up soon.

Mojo899

Post by Mojo899 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:27 pm

I would love to restore the boat but I don't think I have any way of getting the boat for some time. And then there becomes the part of talking the wife in to another boat. :lol:

If your local guy falls through and you still have the boat let me know.

skills4lou

Post by skills4lou » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:43 pm

I haven't heard back from the local guy since his initial email (part of why I hate selling on FB!) so who knows. I'd far rather have it stay in the boat category vs playhouse. What sort of time frame are you looking at? I may be able to talk the wife into a little more time if we know there is an end in sight.

skills4lou

Post by skills4lou » Sat May 09, 2020 2:14 pm

I have another local offer for the trailer, which means the hull will be scrapped. Last chance: anyone want it?

skills4lou

Post by skills4lou » Thu May 14, 2020 3:01 am

Andrew, thanks for the welcome on the PNW FB group! Looking through the old pics it appears you would definitely be able to get this one refurbished.

Regarding local buyer wanting the trailer...I haven't heard back from him either. :evil:

I'd still much rather have this go to someone who will keep her going than have to scrap her out, so if anyone wants it please come get it!

skills4lou

Post by skills4lou » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:24 am

Well, it's been long enough. I'm gonna start chopping up hull #3 so I can get it outta the yard. Hardware I can salvage will be available for individual sales. There are some winches, the bow pulpit, and most of the deck hardware should be salvageable.

Mark Sailmaker

Re: SJ21 #3

Post by Mark Sailmaker » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:57 pm

With regard to SJ #3....I have #2 and the first time I weighed it, it had been out of the water for a while - it weighed 1176#. For real, class digital scale. Took the keel out - the pin had never been glassed in - rolled it over, faired out some big divots out of the bottom from sitting on a john boat trailer and re-cored half the cabin top and half the foredeck. Added hat section deck beams to both, wet sanded the whole hull up to the rub rail with 280, painted it with white Awlgrip 545 epoxy primer up to the waterline, wet sanded that, flipped it back over and re-placed the deck hardware, setting up for All Sails. I had to replace the keel with the current 62 degree keel - it had the original 52 deg keel and was horrible to windward. Unfortunately the original keel couldn't be modified to work so it went to the scrap yard. After re-weighing with the new keel, I added 223# of lead under the mast support beam to bring it up to class weight. I had a local welder make me a mold from 2" angle iron and poured triangular ingots, cut them into 8" lengths and glued them to the hull with 5200, points up first layer them nesting the triangles as I went. Very compact, unseen and out of the way. Bottom line - Deuces Wild is a rocket in a breeze and fast in the light as well. Like having a big 3rd crew under the beam with no complaining, beer or sandwiches. I can't imagine #3 would significantly heavier since the original design weight was 1200#....this could be a very fast boat for someone willing to do some work. Shouldn't let this history get junked.....I wonder when the keel was re-designed and how many potential lightweights are out there because they couldn't balance or go to WW?