Adding stanchions?

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
kingtoros
Adding stanchions?

Post by kingtoros » Mon May 18, 2020 9:27 pm

Hey Guys,

I was curious if anyone has had any thoughts to adding stanchions and some lifelines to the San Juan's?

I was shopping around, comparing as usual and noticed this Catalina 22' has some stanchions that I could probably install myself. I don't think it's necessary, but an "upgrade"?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2016-ca ... t-6946720/

Thoughts?

-Toros

kuriti

Re: Adding stanchions?

Post by kuriti » Tue May 19, 2020 1:08 pm

I have thought about it, especially when the kids were younger. Decided it would probably just get in the way in the cockpit and not be tall enough to do much on deck. A 2 foot tall lifeline would not stop me from falling in. I have dragged a polypropylene line behind the boat when singlehanded. I think a mast gate, downhaul and lines led aft should come first, negating the need to go on deck in the first place.

kingtoros

Post by kingtoros » Tue May 19, 2020 3:18 pm

I agree with your priorities as stipulated. The factor I'm considering is the Genoa... I need someone foreward to prevent it from snagging on the main mast each time I turn through the wind. Even so, the safety lines may get in the way of its operation.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu May 21, 2020 4:35 pm

The genoa is almost entirely a thing of the past on Sj 21's. The past few years the "All-Sails" fleets have been racing jibs and spinnakers, no genoas allowed. Our Calgary fleet - which gets up to 18 boats on a Wednesday night starting line, still allows genoas, but hardly anyone uses them anymore - not even in very light air when they're slightly advantageous. Truth is, from about 5 knots and up the jib is as fast anyhow up wind (except on close reaches). And whereas it's easy to fly a kite and jib, the genny gets in the way, so typically needs to be dropped or furled.

kingtoros

Post by kingtoros » Thu May 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Steve wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:35 pm
The genoa is almost entirely a thing of the past on Sj 21's. The past few years the "All-Sails" fleets have been racing jibs and spinnakers, no genoas allowed. Our Calgary fleet - which gets up to 18 boats on a Wednesday night starting line, still allows genoas, but hardly anyone uses them anymore - not even in very light air when they're slightly advantageous. Truth is, from about 5 knots and up the jib is as fast anyhow up wind (except on close reaches). And whereas it's easy to fly a kite and jib, the genny gets in the way, so typically needs to be dropped or furled.
Unfortunately, the lakes I sail in usually require the Genoa because on average the gusts are 5-7mph and winds are usually 1-3mph. I say this, with extremely limited experience as I have only been sailing this boat a few times for the past couple years.

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 pm

I just got a Genoa last year and mostly use it for down wind wing on wing when it’s dead, so limited tacking experience, but haven’t had issues with it snagging. If falling off is a big concern, a cheaper and likely more effective solution could be a harness and a jackline tied to the mast and bow. Nice thing about this would be you would only run it when you were in conditions where it was warranted. Clip in when you go forward and keep your tether short, shouldn’t be able to fall in. I only pin the keel and put in a hatch board when it gets above 15ish, so similar philosophy. In fact I may have just talked myself into this when I singlehand in the big sounds.

Gman377

Post by Gman377 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:07 am

Here in Tennessee I sail mostly with a genoa unless the winds get up over approximately eight knots. I have a 130 and a 150 because a lot of times in the summer it won’t get past three knots here on our lake and I need to catch as much wind as I can. I will say that it does not point as well because the big sail will catch more air but I am not racing. Very rarely does the Genoa catch on the mast because the wind will blow it to the other side. The only problem I have is where the mast electrical plug Is just a little bit forward of the mast and it will catch on that every now and then. I don’t ever go on top of the deck to unhook it because I can reach it by leaning over the Championway Hatch. I am just a weekend sailor that just likes to cruise around and camp on the boat up river so take that in consideration my friend.