Deck to hull joint questions

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
tchilds
Deck to hull joint questions

Post by tchilds » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:07 pm

The deck joint on my sj21 seems a lil off. Under the rubber rub strip there are rivers? Pins? Not sure. Some have space around the pins/rivets and others are pulled out of the hole. Do these holes need to be sealed or riveted?

I can post pics if this is too confusing

cklamp

Re: Deck to hull joint questions

Post by cklamp » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Pics or it didn't happen:)

Seriously though, as I understand it, the deck to hull is supposed to be riveted and glassed over. I'm not 100% sure but I seem to recall reading that over the years. If no one else chimes in you can always email Gene Adams for verification. He would surely know.

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

Diarmuid

Re: Deck to hull joint questions

Post by Diarmuid » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:15 pm

Yeah, the rivets aren't real great & can pull out in places. There seems to be a poor fit between the deck and hull at the aft corners on our '73 Mk1 -- a half-inch gap in the mouldings. And 'shoebox' construction is never the best method, a source of real trouble in many production boats of this era as the bedding putty becomes brittle and falls out.

But hey -- Clark did glass the entire hull-to-deck joint! It's a rare example of high-end craftsmanship on the SJ21, and rarer on price-point boats of the '70s. So no leaks and no chance of the deck explosively separating from the hull, yay. ;) If you want leaks on an SJ21, you'll have to get yours from the deck fitting and portlights like everyone else. :lol: Upshot: drill out and replace the rivets if they bother you, but don't lose too much sleep over them. Cheers!