Sailing Anyone---

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
Yjacket
Sailing Anyone---

Post by Yjacket » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Ok, come one people. There has to be some news out there somewhere from somebody!!!??!!! The last post here was 10/17--

Hello, Hello--- Right---- News from Fleet 52, Our local sailing Club, Lewis-/Clark Sailing are almost done with our fall series. Fall is in full swing anf the temp.'s are down a bit but not bad. I heard rumers for another boat in our area was sold and was purchased by a local as well. Don't know him yet but hope to soon. We are already talking about next years events so all you clubs out there better get the dates out there soon. We can only go to so many in one season!!

How about it Canada??? I have been wanting a good north of the border beer for a while now. Anything on the calendar for 2012??
We have two open events one the 3rd week-end in April and one the 3rd week-end in Sept. All boats welcome, not just 21's. Also toe NOOD in Seattle, and the Nationals and High Seirra's in Fresno!!

Hummmm, loose footed mains, I've only seen one. What's up with it skippers, any difference?? Boat weight, all you racers have weighed your boats right?? Your not racing CLASS without knowing your boat meets the 1400 lb min are you? These are such great little boats, I bought a 2nd. -----------------------------

Krysia Ry

Re: Sailing Anyone---

Post by Krysia Ry » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:25 am

Yeah, my girl is overweight by 150lbs. Ya Van der Schallie, I'm workin' on the rudder. I hope to get a new woodie built this winter. That kick-up of mine is also going to get a workover. I plan on cutting a bunch of aluminum off the head. Ya'll are always welcome up here on Kootenay Lake. I plan on sailing with a couple of friends from San Carlos, Mexico to Oahu next June. That will possibly tie up all my family leave for sailing plans as it will take most of the month in travel, planning and sailing. We'll see how Krysia and Taylor Ry feel when I get back from Hawaii. We are racing a rum cup series up here every few weeks, PHRF, with everything from Sj 21 to Sj 30, J29s, Ranger 23, Catalina 27s, Columbia 26. Hope to see some of ya sailing soon.
Bill

Yjacket

Post by Yjacket » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi Bill, Only 150 lbs that's good. Luck with the rudder, Let me know about the regattas up there. Maybe we can get to one.
A few years ago, sailed from LaPaz to Hilo, 21 days on a 42', was awsome---

Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Krysia Ry wrote:Yeah, my girl is overweight by 150lbs. Ya Van der Schallie, I'm workin' on the rudder. I hope to get a new woodie built this winter. That kick-up of mine is also going to get a workover. I plan on cutting a bunch of aluminum off the head. Ya'll are always welcome up here on Kootenay Lake. I plan on sailing with a couple of friends from San Carlos, Mexico to Oahu next June. That will possibly tie up all my family leave for sailing plans as it will take most of the month in travel, planning and sailing. We'll see how Krysia and Taylor Ry feel when I get back from Hawaii. We are racing a rum cup series up here every few weeks, PHRF, with everything from Sj 21 to Sj 30, J29s, Ranger 23, Catalina 27s, Columbia 26. Hope to see some of ya sailing soon.
Bill
Hey Bill -- have you seen my kick-up rudder redesign posts? Removing the solid mahogany core & about half the aluminum took 13# off the transom. I went with UHMW for the blade (NACA foil), which is not class legal (but could be). You could use wood or glass or glass/wood instead. We really love our rudder.

Original:

Redesign:

Machining polyethylene isn't all that easy, but I like not caring if it whacks a rock. Solid material = no worries about water inside.:) De-burr the tip and go sailing! I need to replace the lifting line cross-dowel with a stainless or brass one. The staining on the blade in the last pic is actually sawdust -- the plastic has a static charge that attracts dust like crazy, & it lives above my chop saw in the winter.;)

Black Jack

Post by Black Jack » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:42 am

Fleet 8 in New Bern, North Carolina is still racing. We had our second set of races for the fall series last Sunday and will race again this coming Sunday. Racing goes through third week in November ending with the Turkey Trot Regatta.

I am really enjoying the series as I am breaking in my new crew on Black Jack. My son Trevor(11) and daughter Katie(12) have started crewing for me. They take turns between the bow and middle positions and are really starting to understand the spinnaker work.

If there was a fleet 8 page on the forum's fleet info I would be happy to update with current events and news as relevent. Can this be added?

Dan
Black Jack