Interior Condensation

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
scurvybrat
Interior Condensation

Post by scurvybrat » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm looking at buying a '75 SJ 21. At inspection there was a lot of interior condenstaion. The boat is moored uncovered here in Seattle which may be the source of the problem. Can anyone confirm whether just adding a cover or tarp would keep the boat dry inside?

thank you!
SJ21 1975 MKII #1417 Fixed Keel

Krysia Ry

Re: Interior Condensation

Post by Krysia Ry » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Scurvy One,
Air FLOW is what you need. I have my boat on her trailer here in Nelson for the winter. I have a tarp over the boat and a screen for the hatch door. I also have the forward hatch open slightly to keep air flowing. Because these things are plastics, they will sweat on land or on water. AIR FLOW is the answer.
Geez I thought one of the western water rats would have answered this one. Look at the venting Stephen Jensen added to his boat. I think he put 4 inch vents in the stern. You can get handy little vents that screw into the 4 inch inspection hatch.
Good luck
Buy the boat
Bill

scurvybrat

Post by scurvybrat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Krysia Ry wrote:Scurvy One,
Air FLOW is what you need. I have my boat on her trailer here in Nelson for the winter. I have a tarp over the boat and a screen for the hatch door. I also have the forward hatch open slightly to keep air flowing. Because these things are plastics, they will sweat on land or on water. AIR FLOW is the answer.
Geez I thought one of the western water rats would have answered this one. Look at the venting Stephen Jensen added to his boat. I think he put 4 inch vents in the stern. You can get handy little vents that screw into the 4 inch inspection hatch.
Good luck
Buy the boat
Bill
Thank you, Bill! I was hoping that was the response. I understand that cool, not warm air is the right way to go. I'm going to get tarps for the bow and stern to enable the setup you've described. I'm also planning on mooring her to a slip with power; do you think it would be overkill to run a small fan or two (one fore and one aft)? I couldn't find the message or reference to Stephen that you mentioned, would you mind replying with a link?

thanks!

Krysia Ry

Post by Krysia Ry » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:40 am

Yep, you do not need a heater. That would be a waste of power and where I live, not cheap. Same air flowing through. A fan would be fine if you are paying for power at your slip. I can't remember where I saw that info. I was sure it was Stephen's boat. Maybe shoot him a mail.
For the deckplates :
www.beckson.com/dckplt.html
Bill

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:20 am

Scurvybrat, if you wish, make sure to check out Fleet 1's website, in my sig, as you're local to us, and you'd be more than welcome to come to some of our meetings that are usually held on the 3rd Thursday of the month. We'll also start racing sometime in March I think next year, so you could come by and take a look at many of our boats, rigging, etc...

We'd love to have you aboard!

later
Christian
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

scurvybrat

Post by scurvybrat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:58 am

Krysia Ry wrote:Yep, you do not need a heater. That would be a waste of power and where I live, not cheap. Same air flowing through. A fan would be fine if you are paying for power at your slip. I can't remember where I saw that info. I was sure it was Stephen's boat. Maybe shoot him a mail.
For the deckplates :
http://www.beckson.com/dckplt.html
Bill
Bill,

Thank you again! Those deckplates look pretty easy to install. Perhaps this summer :)

scurvybrat

Post by scurvybrat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:04 am

cklamp wrote:Scurvybrat, if you wish, make sure to check out Fleet 1's website, in my sig, as you're local to us, and you'd be more than welcome to come to some of our meetings that are usually held on the 3rd Thursday of the month. We'll also start racing sometime in March I think next year, so you could come by and take a look at many of our boats, rigging, etc...

We'd love to have you aboard!

later
Christian
Ah, thank you, Christian. I'm signing the title tonight! I'm excited about trying racing, and I'll be working on gaining experience in this boat over the winter. I'm actually on Bainbridge, but would like to be part of Fleet 1. Looks like I missed the Dec 2 event, any others coming up?

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:30 am

Scurvy, Congratulations!

Our next Meeting should be January 17th I think... We tend to hold them on the 3rd Thursday of every month in the West Seattle area, the Chelan Cafe at 630. We have that meeting, and 1 more in February I think to finalize the year's racing schedule and change/amend any rules. Racing usually starts the last weekend in February or the 1st weekend in March.

We look forward to seeing you!

Thanks
Christian
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu