Paint

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
vsaben
Paint

Post by vsaben » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Ok next question, we have decided to re paint the boat any suggestions it is powder blue now and want to go white with a hunter green stripe . So does any one have any suggestions on which way to do this do I use gel coat or just bring it to a body shop and have it painted ?

gleninst

Re: Paint

Post by gleninst » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:13 pm

There are a number of things to consider in order to select the appropriate option. I'm assuming you are not going to tackle this job yourself but my comments would generally apply regardless. First, the majority of costs (labor) associated with refinishing your boat is the preparation work no matter what option you select. Having said that there is even more labor associated with gelcoat. This would certainly be your most expensive option but in terms of appearance and durability it is your best option. After gelcoat is sprayed on it there is significant labor to buff and polish it, much more than a comparable paint job. To even find an experienced gelcoat applicator to tackle a project of this magnitude can be a challenge; the corner body shop typically does not do this work (or shouldn't!). For paint you have several options: single part poly such as Brightside, Easypoxy, 2-part poly like Awlgrip or Perfection, alkyd enamels like Topsides or even Rustoleum. All of these types have pluses and minuses.The 2-part paints can be problematic because the application of this paint type can be fatal, yes, fatal if not handled properly. Again, the corner body shop may or may not be familiar with these particular finishes. I do my own work but if I were to use an outside source, I would find an experienced applicator who is familiar with 2-part poly finishes. Yes, it is the most expensive paint option but remember the cost of paint as a function of the whole is relatively low. The 2-part option is your next best option for a durable and glossy finish. For whatever it's worth---

vsaben

Post by vsaben » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Thank you I have decided to tackle this myself have been watching some you tube videos and do think I can handle this . I think it will make one hell of a project it does look like the out come ways a lot on the prep. have not done this before but I am looking forward to it

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:32 pm

I have been prepping my boat since December on the weekends. to get a really nice outcome you need to spend the time in prep. I had a transom re-build slow me down a bit, but have sanded, filled and faired 90% of the topside and plan on doing the bottom next weekend. i plan on using 1 part poly, which seems like the best option for me. it is supposed to give good results when rolled and tipped and be more forgiving to the amateur. I keep finding my self returning to this link as it is a great overview of the process:

http://www.acbsphl.org/Tips_and_hints/T ... ipping.htm

my boat is a trailer queen so i won't be putting bottom paint on, just Interlux Brightsides all around. if you plan to put her on a mooring or slip, you will want to bottom paint. I also used this time to drop my keel, reinforce it's scrapes and scratches and will replace the bolt and keel gasket on the way back in.

i am using west system epoxy and filling compound and opened up all the cracks with a dremel. you could use any fairing epoxy, but i already own stock in west system epoxy. if you want a great finish, laboriously sanding, filling, then re-sanding to fair is the process. of course, remove all hardware. i tool this opportunity to upgrade the rest of my hardware, filling and redrilling all the holes to fit.

you can do it, just put aside some time and get a bit OCD if you want a good looking finish. if good enough is good enough for you, just dewax, sand with 120-150 grit, wipe clean and paint. All the old flaws will show through though if you don't fill and fair them though which would be a shame.

good luck!

vsaben

Post by vsaben » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:24 am

Kurti, I am taking your advice and have started removing all hardware not sure what grit sand paper to start with . I am first applying hull prep going to west marine to get recommendations on products that will be best for the job any suggestions

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:46 pm

I find the interlux/awlgrip/et al solvents way overpriced. My buddy turned me onto a brand called 5-star solvent. It is kinda hard to find, but if you have an auto paint wholesaler in town, they will have it. If you live in a medium to large town, you should be able to find a wholesaler in a google search. You can get a gallon for 15 bucks. Buy a good respirator and the appropriate cartridges and use gloves.

Definetly dewax before sanding. If you plan to remove the non-skid, use a random orbital sander and 60 grit. I found 60 works better than 40 surprisingly. Then once more with a palm sander and 120 to get ride of any swirl marks. Also, bring a lunch, sanding the non-skid off takes forever. You can paint over it, but it will lose some of its grip and prepping the low spots well is virtually impossible. I sanded to smooth and will apply a non skid additive when i paint.

Once dewaxed, you can just hit the smooth gelcoat with 120. If it is chalky, sand down until it is smooth and solid, checking by wiping it off with solvent every once in a while. If the gelcoat isn't chalky to start, just sand the shine off. I used a palm sander for that. I did the entire bottom of the boat yesterday, so it goes much faster than the non-skid, but my shoulders are killing me today. I will do my final fill and fair today, then painting starts next week!