Rigging the Boom

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
Welsh2ca
Rigging the Boom

Post by Welsh2ca » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Okay this is a real newbie question, but I have now completed almost all the necessary repairs, thanks to all the help available here. So, I have finally arrived at the point where it's time to rig the sails. All has gone well, my only concern is with the boom. Not having any models and after searching the web for a detailed pic I am not sure if I am missing a part or two or not. My question more specifically is; once the gooseneck is installed, the boom vang attached, and the outhaul adjusted, is there some other mechanism that should be in place to hold the boom down right at the mast? A picture would be crazy helpful if there is something we are missing.

Thanks in advance for any help

JimW

Re: Rigging the Boom

Post by JimW » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Downhaul? My mast has a horn cleat down low. Not the best picture, but maybe this helps? (excuse the messy halyard cleats--my sons haven't quite consistently gotten the hang of that skill yet)
SJ21_downhaul.jpg
SJ21_downhaul.jpg (117.02KiB)Viewed 9358 times
former 1979 mkII #2263 "Gabriola"

kuriti

Re: Rigging the Boom

Post by kuriti » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:05 pm

I have sailed for a year without a downhaul, just the boom vang. I am not sure how they were originally rigged, but i can attest that they sail fine without one. i will be installing a downhall as i finish up my general repairs this fall, but if you are itching to get out on the water now, just go for it. As you get to a place where you are more concerned about sail shape, you can install a downhall.

cheers,

kuriti