Transom Question

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
PredatoryFish
Transom Question

Post by PredatoryFish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Hello,

I am new to the SJ21's and relatively new to sailing I had a question regarding a boat i was looking at to purchase, from inside the cabin looking back through the quarter berths towards the transom you should not be able to see exposed plywood on the inside of the transom should you? it appeard to me to be a poorly done transom repair but i wanted to check with people who would know.

also at the base of the companion way on the floor of the cockpit should there be a rectangular cutout approx 1"x4" that appears to go into the centerboard trunk? this appeared to me to be wrong as well.

Krysia Ry

Re: Transom Question

Post by Krysia Ry » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:37 am

CAn you send some pics to clarify exactly what you see? Its easy to start saying all kinds of stuff when we can't see the boat. There is a cutout on the top of the keel box at the base of the compression post.
Bill

cklamp

Re: Transom Question

Post by cklamp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Hello new guy!

PF, Bills right, pictures are the best to help out...

WRT the Transom, my .02$ if you look back at the inside of the transom, and see plywood, it's likely a repair job. Doesn't mean it's been done bad though. When I bought my boat the transom core was as strong as wet cardboard, and had to be rebuilt as it had had at least 3 different motor mounts and 12 different holes in it that had never been sealed up. You probably need to be able to remove the plywood, and inspect the bolt holes for water intrusion to be sure if the fix was done "right" or not.

Bill, I think he's inquiring about the drain hole, since he mentions the cockpit. PF there should be a hole in the cockpit right in front of the companionway door, that leads down into the keel box. It should be about 1-1.5" in diameter. In case water get's up over the gunwales it can drain back out into the keel well through this hole.

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu