Removing green epoxy?

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
patrick
Removing green epoxy?

Post by patrick » Sat May 14, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm in the process of restoring hull #1173 and want to remove a bunch of ugly, lumpy, green epoxy from around the base of the keel housing in the cabin. I'm guessing that someone put it there to provide reinforcement or to stop leaks? I'd like to replace it with fiberglass. Any ideas on how to remove this stuff without spending what could be hours with a dremmel? I've read that using a heat gun can cause it to loosen up (then it could be pried off) but I'd be afraid of damaging the underlying fiberglass with this method. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Patrick Caruso, 1975 Mk II #1173, Spokane, WA

bluepearl

Re: Removing green epoxy?

Post by bluepearl » Sun May 15, 2011 12:37 am

Heat gun is probably a good idea, if you're careful and don't get it too hot you shouldn't damage the fiberglass. If that doesn't work you may be grinding.
Bob Abelin - National Commodore
#714 Blue Pearl MK 1

The Duck #889

Post by The Duck #889 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:23 pm

The fact that its green may mean nothing, or it could mean anything. Thats fine.

But basically, you've all ready stated your two options. Using a right-angle grinder with a heavy grit "flapper" disc should be highly effective. Wear a mask.
Ben Sebens: Mk1 (fixed keel) #889 "The Duck"

"I never have doubts. Ever. Occasionally, however, I have seen the need to revise expectation of outcome reflecting input of new anomalous data."

patrick

Post by patrick » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks Bob and "the Duck" for your feedback. I was out on a fishing boat over Memorial Day weekend in the San Juan Islands catching some shrimp and asked the skipper (a relative) about this green stuff. He said it sounded like an epoxy product called "Splash Zone" and said that they simply use a screw driver and a hammer to take it off. I tried it yesterday and sure enough it came off in chunks. Hurray!

San Juan Sailboats

Post by San Juan Sailboats » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:17 pm

Are these "bumps" near the forward end and about the size of a golf ball? If so, they are probably the Keel bolt covering.
Stephen Jensen

San Juan Sailboats
Stephen@SJSailboats.com

patrick

Post by patrick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:53 pm

It's the sloppy job that someone did with the green epoxy that created the lumps. They covered the seams where the keel housing meets the cabin floor, the most forward part of the cabin floor itself (i.e., between the keel housing and the raised platform for the porta potti, and the same area of the floor on the other side), and the protruding parts of the keel housing itself. It took me about an hour to remove most of the green epoxy. Now, I'm planning to finish up the prep and then add some new fiberglass along these areas. It appears that someone was trying to repair a couple of cracks in the keel housing (which are now revealed) and then decided to add some extra epoxy all over things to gain some strength.