Capacity plate

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
The Duck #889
Capacity plate

Post by The Duck #889 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:51 am

I have been unable to find a capacity placard anywhere in my boat. Does anyone know where it would be?

Otherwise, what is the capacity? # of people, lbs, etc.?

In my mind, I see 6 adults as pretty well maxed out.
Ben Sebens: Mk1 (fixed keel) #889 "The Duck"

"I never have doubts. Ever. Occasionally, however, I have seen the need to revise expectation of outcome reflecting input of new anomalous data."

TomD

Re: Capacity plate

Post by TomD » Thu May 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Coast Guard regulations are that maximum weight and passenger capacities applies only to monohull boats under 20' except sailboats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats.

Newer NMMA certification applies to boats under 26' including pontoon boats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats. Persons capacity specified for fly bridges and upper decks.

cguthrie

Post by cguthrie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:59 am

9 teen aged girls is about max. They were out having a good time dancing on the deck when one noticed water coming in from under the keel inspection board on the top of the trunk as well as from the cable holes on the front by the king post. Capacity is just a matter of how far you can push the hull into the water before the water line comes above the top of the keel trunk.

TomD

Post by TomD » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:21 pm

I also recently ran across this:
Under the U.S. Coast Guard Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971, boats less than 20 feet powered with an inboard, outboard, or stern drive engine manufactured after November 1, 1972, must display a capacity plate defining the safe load limits. This plate must be mounted where you can see it when preparing to get underway. Sailboats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats are exempt from this standard states do have statutes prohibiting the carriage of people and gear in excess of the stated capacity, or the installation of a motor that exceeds the recommended horse power limit.

The Duck #889

Post by The Duck #889 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Ok, so there is no capacity plate. Which doesn't bother me.

Mostly, I like to know how many of my friends I can take out at a time, safely. There is a point where too much weight will make the boat unstable and dangerous.

Btw, The Duck is a fixed keel boat, and has no CB case. I suppose I could load it to the point where water comes up through the cockpit drains....maybe not :D
Ben Sebens: Mk1 (fixed keel) #889 "The Duck"

"I never have doubts. Ever. Occasionally, however, I have seen the need to revise expectation of outcome reflecting input of new anomalous data."