LYNC Midwinters

Race Reports, Notice of Race, and Rules Discussions
cguthrie
LYNC Midwinters

Post by cguthrie » Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi San Juan Sailors.
This a quick update on the past weekend regatta, MidWinters. The numbers of boats were reduced at the last minute due to weather forecast. Five brave skippers and crews competed, Zoe Dommel, Ray Graber, Don Olive, Steve Jones and myself. It was cold, cold and cold with little to no rain. The wind was 10 to 15 mainly out of the NE. The temp never got above 50 on Sat and Sun 38 to 40. Zoe Dommel in White Knuckles with father Dick, and nephew Jackson crewing took 4 bullets and dominated. Steve and myself were the only smart ones on Sun (at least I think so) and elected not to leave the dock in 38 degree weather. The other three agreed on the dock to only sail one race, but due to equipment problems Ray never got, to the Starting line in time. The San Juans never sailed the fifth race. Smart!

There were two things of interest that happened. Ray Graber in the first race was leading and a head of Zoe but finished on the wrong side of the Finishing boat, so Zoe snuck in there. In the third race Don was just a head of me and the course had been shorten at the 2nd weather mark which I did not realize. I headed up to give Don room at the mark and happened to cross the finish line a foot ahead of Don.

The scores went like this; Zoe 1, 1, 1 & 1 = 4 pts, Don 3, 5, 3 & 2 = 13 pts, Merrill 4, 2, 2 & dns = 14 Pts, Ray 2, 4, 4 & dns = 16 pts and Steve 5, 3, 5 & dns = 19 pts.

The Skippers & Crews who did not make it from out of town, we do not blame you. It was cold! Just come back and see us for July 4th and Labor Day Regattas. Also, to make you feel better a U 20 from Ontario came in early on Sunday before their first start.

Next year we will have better weather, and please come sail with us.
Merrill