Sailing under the London Bridge, anyone?

Cruising Reports, Trip Discussions, and Tales From Far Away Places
2208cruiser
Sailing under the London Bridge, anyone?

Post by 2208cruiser » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:04 am

Count me in! Especially in February, when it is usually pretty cold here in the Puget Sound area. Lake Havasu, AZ promises to be a lot warmer. The 5th annual Havasu Pocket Cruiser's Convention runs from Feb 13-20th, 2012, and I'm planning on being there. So far, there will be 140 boats, and we will be invading the London Bridge resort. This promises to be a good convention, including lots of sailing, and some fun races. I'm looking forward to meeting other trailer sailors (cruisers) and learning about other great destinations to trailer sail.

Check out the details at:
http://www.sailhavasu.com/

Come and join me! I think so far, I am the only SJ21.

Jeff D.

Diarmuid

Re: Sailing under the London Bridge, anyone?

Post by Diarmuid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Thinking about it. There may be one Deep South SJ21 heading that way. My neighbor here in Laramie keeps his Potter 19 on Havasu for the winter & is badgering us to go with them this year. Dunno. I like to sleep on the boat & spend more time sailing than socializing or eating. & If I'm driving 1900 miles towing the boat, my instinct is to go another 200 and sail on the bleedin' ocean. ;) We may be angling for the northern Sea of Cortez in May/June; it would have to be one or the other.

Everyone who attends the HPCC has a good time, tho. Sean does a nice job putting it together. It will be nice to go someplace warm & dry in February. Fluky winds! If you do go, pls. post a report with lots of photos.:)

2208cruiser

Post by 2208cruiser » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:44 am

That would be great if a few more SJ21's showed up. I was originally going to sleep on the boat in the marina (downside-no showers!), but then, Sean negotiated some killer deals for hotels, so I'm staying at the Nautical Inn, on the cove, so I can either beach the boat or leave it at the dock. I tend to like sailing and cruising/exploring more than socializing too, but it looks like there is plenty of time during the week for sailing. I'm kind of looking forward to hearing about other great places to cruise, and learning from other cruisers. And, in February, it is very unlikely that I'll be doing any cruising up here in the Puget Sound! I'm looking forward to sailing in warmer weather. The drive is a long one, but I plan on taking in a few other things on the trip. I hope to sail on Lake Mead for a few days, and I plan on seeing my Mom in the SF Bay area, and sailing on the SF Bay too. And I'm planning on getting to Havasu early, to take in the BBQ at Steamboat Cove, and maybe some gunkholing in the coves to the south. So the 1400 mile drive for me should include lots of sailing and cruising. I can't blame you though, if you have to choose the Sea of Cortez or Havasu. But gas seems to be cheaper in the winter! I'll be sure to post some photos and a cruise report.

2208cruiser

Another SJ21 coming to Havasu!

Post by 2208cruiser » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:58 am

I just found out there will be another SJ21 coming to Lake Havasu for the 2012 Pocket Cruisers Convention. They're from Rapid City, S.D. http://www.sailhavasu.com/whos_attending_2012.html Good! I won't be the only SJ21 there. I'm also looking forward to sailing in some warmer weather, although I guess I don't have anything to complain about - no snow and its not way below freezing here in the Seattle area.

It's not to late to sign up and come to HPCC!

Jeff D. #2208

2208cruiser

At the Havasu Pocket Cruisers Convention

Post by 2208cruiser » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:39 am

So far, we've had five great days of sailing at Lake Havasu, AZ. It took me about 2 1/2 days of driving to get here from the Seattle WA area, but it has been well worth it. It was cold and raining in Seattle, and in Oregon. But as I drove south into California, the weather got much nicer and warmer.

Saturday Feb 11 - Wind blowing 15-20 knots, from the south, and sunny, in the mid to high 60's. Sailed with a reefed main, around the Island (the island the the London Bridge goes to). We put up the chute on the downwind side and ran up and around to Bridgewater Channel, then motored up to the London Bridge. A model hydrofoil race was being held in the channel so we had to stop just past the London Bridge. But it was a good test - yes, the SJ21 does fit under the bridge. So we sailed back around the island -the long way around, back to the marina.

Sunday Feb 12 - Sailed South to Steamboat Cove, about 6 miles south. Winds were light, about 5-10 knots from the south. So we had to beat the whole way. We joined a bunch of other Pocket Cruisers at the cove for a BBQ. Beautiful scenery too and warm, in the high 60's. Met another SJ21 there. Spent the night at Steamboat Cove.

Monday Feb 13 - Sail up to Balanced Rock Cove, hike to "The Crack", then sail back to the Marina. Winds were blowing hard in the morning - 15-20 knots. Had a great spinnaker run up to Balanced Rock Cove - GPS hit peaks of 7.4 knots! Took the hike up to "The Crack" (photos coming). Then, we sailed back to Lake Havasu Marina - again on a run, doing 5-6 knots on main & jib. Quick trip.

Tues Feb 14: Long Distance Race (about 14 miles). 100+ boats on the start line! We managed to start fairly well, with good 10-15 knot winds from the north. The course was very similar to what we sailed last Saturday - around to the other side of the island, then back. We had fairly consistent winds and completed the course in about 3 hrs. The race was no flying sails, so after finishing uthe race upwind, we decided to sail south flying the spinnaker. Got some great photos of the fleet. That night, the results were postes, and we finished 10th (after corrections) out of about 100 boats.

Wed Feb 15: Shorter, round the buoy race - the Pocket Cruiser's cup. Another great day, but more wind. We sailed main & jib. Winds were reported 15-20 knots, with gusts to 26 (not sure it got that high). Some good racing. Managed to pass some bigger boats (Mac 25, Catalina 25 - but these guys are cruisers). Winds were building, and clouds rolling in. Just after we tied up at the marina. It started raining hard, with lightning in the distance. Results not posted yet, but another great day of sailing.

So far, we've had 5 out of 5 great days of sailing, in reasonably warm weather - at least for me! Good or great winds every day too. We'll see what the rest of the week brings, but so far, I am very happy. After Havasu, we'll be headed up to Lake Mead for a few days of cruising and sailing, then to San Francisco for more sailing. I'll post photos when I get back home, around the end of February.

Jeff D, #2208
Last edited by 2208cruiser on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

2208cruiser

HPCC: Thurs Feb 16

Post by 2208cruiser » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:22 am

Update: in the Pocket Cruiser's Cup, on Wed, we placed 8th out of maybe 30 boats. No handicapping/corrections, so we were competing against Macgreggor 26's, Catalina 25's, and a bunch or other boats over 20'. We did ok, although I wonder if we'd have done better if handicapped/corrected.

Thurs Feb 16 - Seminars, Exhibits. Wind blowing 15-20 knots from the north with gusts. We decided to go on a bike ride around the island today, and be tourists. Some went sailing today - pretty wild ride for most. it was a very nice and sunny day.

Jeff D. #2208

Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Jealous! It's below freezing here in Wyoming. And the water is solid phase til April. Sounds like you've gotten good winds; it's really hit or miss in AZ, depending on the center of the winter Low Pressure system that parks there. I might just go & sit in our boat, up on blocks, & pretend we're down there sailing with you. *sigh*