Back from Catalina Island

Cruising Reports, Trip Discussions, and Tales From Far Away Places
Diarmuid
Back from Catalina Island

Post by Diarmuid » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:25 am

We're packing up the SJ21 for another trip to Catalina Island. Nine days plus travel time -- should test the limits of sleeping aboard a Mk1.;) We hope to sail from Marina Del Rey straight to Catalina Harbor, some 42 nm -- and sail we must, since we don't have a real outboard. The nylon drifter sail will need to earn its money & lay down some miles in the morning if we are to make harbor before dark. We have a bail plan if the winds don't cooperate or we are too tired. Then a lay day. Then hopefully a short jaunt to Little Harbor on the Hawaii side. Then around to Avalon for a couple days (hope they have moorage available -- Desconso Bay is a washing machine!). Then up to Two Harbors: last time, that 10 mile sail in 3' swells and 12 knots on the nose rated as the best single sailing day of my life. The little boat was eating it up. Thence back to MDR, about 30 nm, usually on a beam reach all the way. We hit speeds in the low sevens last time.

I'm a little fretful since we've only had two shakedown sails this year, following a thorough rebuild of the boat. We'll do one more tomorrow, almost fully loaded, just to run thru all the new systems again. Oh well -- we managed in 42 mph Wyoming winds the other day, so July in SoCal holds no terrors.

Except sharks, of course.
Last edited by Diarmuid on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomD

Re: Off to Californi-yay

Post by TomD » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:08 am

Now that's my kind of trip! Look forward to pictures and a full report. Do you have a SPOT so we can track your progress?

Diarmuid

Re: Off to Californi-yay

Post by Diarmuid » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:26 am

Nah. But we'll take some pics & videos (incl. underwater ones, we hope) and post them with a GPS track when we return. If we return. Right now I'm tempted to point the thing toward Cabo and never come back. :lol: Too much work waiting for me at home. Our shakedown sail was an unholy terror -- this time gusts in excess of 50 mph and dangerous chop. Oh well. Rig stayed together, so I guess we can call that 'shook down.' :roll:

Diarmuid

Re: Back from Catalina Island

Post by Diarmuid » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:09 pm

We've returned from Los Angeles alive -- even missed Carmeggedon on the 405 by a day. :lol: We spent eight days on the water & eleven sleeping in the SJ21 (Mk1). Here's a brief synopsis of the trip:

Day 1: Marina del Rey to Catalina Harbor

This was the big one -- could we get all the way down the coast and around the west end of the Island before dark? We kept our options open to bail into Isthmus Cove or Emerald Cove, but we were an hour ahead of schedule at the decision waypoint, so we agreed to make a run for Cat Harbor. In what was to be the pattern for the trip, winds were very light and the wave train conflicted. Also, the wind bent and some crazy tides or currents kept heading us as we approached the bold western headland, forcing several tacks. Still, we ghosted into the Harbor at 8:15 PM, having covered 49 nm in exactly 12 hours. Not bad for a loaded-down boat with 18' waterline! Harbor Patrol suggested an anchorage way in the back of the harbor (which also has moorings); we anchored bow and stern in 8' of water with a sand bottom. Very quiet, and a stone's toss from the dinghy dock. We strolled across the isthmus for a late dinner at Two Harbors.

Day 2: Lay day at Cat Harbor

Day 3: Down to Little Harbor

Our plan was to circle the entire island. We could have gone straight from Cat Harbor round to Avalon, a mere 16 miles; but I wanted to spend a day snorkeling and hiking at Little Harbor, the Hawaii side's only other passable anchorage. We made the four mile trip with little trouble and did a fabulous job anchoring under sail (it is a VERY small harbor!). We tied off bow and stern in 11', with two other boats nearby. It took three attempts to set the stern Danforth, because of the pebbly bottom and kelp.

Little Harbor has a natural rock breakwater that usually blocks the NW swell. But the SW component grew alarmingly during the day, and high tides meant both surges were coming over the breakwater and really throwing us around. Several powerboats dragged anchor, and two left altogether. It was a nasty, jouncy, sleepless 18 hour anchor watch for yours truly. Not a good place to be with a south or SW swell.

Day 4: Around to Isthmus Cove

We were tired and uninspired to slog thru the sloppy waves and light headwinds to Avalon. So we headed back NW with the options to return to Cat Harbor or go to 2Harbors. Winds were extremely light, and we could barely get our drifter or symmetrical spinnaker to stand. Since the wind bends around the point, we were able to enter Isthmus Cove under full spi, however, when other boats were not moving at all.;) We moored on the stringline and slept.

Day 5: Down to Avalon.

The 16 or so miles to Avalon can be a chore. Morning winds are light, from the stern, and blocked by cliffs inshore. So we went about three miles out, found a very light tailwind, and scooted all the way under spinnaker and autopilot. The TP10 is much better at flying the chute than we are. Eighteen miles in 4.5 hours; a Catalina 22 took nine hours to make the same distance, closer to shore. We snagged a mooring near the Tuna Club in Avalon.

Day 6: Lay day in Avalon. We did laundry and went snorkeling in Lover's cove.

Day 7: Back to 2Harbors

Very light winds from an unexpected quarter -- due east. But since they were expected to chop round to the N and NW, we skipped the symmetrical spi and crept up the coast on the nylon drifter. That's a 150% genoa-cut sail that flies on its own luff, and it's only good to about 140 degrees off the wind. So we had to make a few long jibes to keep it pulling. Took 6 hours to reach Isthmus Cove.

Day 8: 2Harbors to MDR

Good west winds when we left 2Harbors. Died right at the shipping lanes, then picked up to 15+ kts after Palos Verdes. Beam reaching all the way home under drifter, working sails, and finally reefed main and partial jib. Took a lot of water in thru the keel pin hole. We made the 35 nm in about seven and a half hours, for a moving average of 4.4 kts. Once again the tillerpilot steered basically the whole thing, and the drifter sail added a knot to our daily averages. Strongly recommend both for this trip.

TomD

Post by TomD » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Wow! Great trip. I am not use to seeing such cool stuff from the west coast. Thanks for sharing the pics and story!!!!

susanlorenzen

Post by susanlorenzen » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:28 am

I'm so impressed!! This is great stuff. Thanks for the detailed post!

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Hey Diarmuid,

I am sure I read this when you posted it, but just now noticed the genoa riding on it's luff. Googled, but couldn't find anything. how did you rig this and what did you need to do to allow it to happen? seems like a great combo with the jib furler.