Rudder Rake

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
krsail
Rudder Rake

Post by krsail » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 am

I noticed varying gudgeon offset spacing from the hull when comparing different SJ21's.
Is there an ideal rudder rake or measurement out there?
I have searched the web, and cannot find anything. The class rules make no mention of it either.
Does it even matter?

I am curious because late model boats have a 1/2" built-in offset, while earlier models are flush with the transom and have a "spacer" between the hull and gudgeon.

Attached are two photos I could find that illustrate this difference.

The first one is with the offset built into the transom, while the other photo (not very good) shows the "spacer" between the hull and the gudgeon. The motor mounts have similar designs: one built into the hull, while the other is attached to the exterior of the transom after fabrication.
Attachments
offset gudgeon.jpg
Offset Built in to hull, "fixed"
offset gudgeon.jpg (8.75KiB)Viewed 15642 times
ASAP_transom.jpg
Early Design with Spacer
ASAP_transom.jpg (10.33KiB)Viewed 15642 times

krsail

Re: Rudder Rake

Post by krsail » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:19 am

Here is a better photo of the transom with a spacer between the hull and gudgeon.
Attachments
ASAP Transom.jpg
ASAP Transom.jpg (46.72KiB)Viewed 15640 times

Mark Sailmaker

Post by Mark Sailmaker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:08 pm

The variation in gudgeon spacers is a result of refinement over the years. I have hull #2, my gudgeons are mounted directly on the transom with no spacer and the deck edge lip is cut away for the pintals. A friend's boat #255 has spacers under the gudgeons so the rubrail and deck lip didn't need to be cut and the latest refinement on #2577 was adding the spacers to the hull mold so the production was smoother. As long as the spacers are the same thickness, there is no difference in the rake of the rudder from one boat to another, and the 1/2" of offset relative to my boat with no spacers is insignificant.

krsail

Post by krsail » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:37 am

Mark Sailmaker wrote:The variation in gudgeon spacers is a result of refinement over the years. I have hull #2, my gudgeons are mounted directly on the transom with no spacer and the deck edge lip is cut away for the pintals. A friend's boat #255 has spacers under the gudgeons so the rubrail and deck lip didn't need to be cut and the latest refinement on #2577 was adding the spacers to the hull mold so the production was smoother. As long as the spacers are the same thickness, there is no difference in the rake of the rudder from one boat to another, and the 1/2" of offset relative to my boat with no spacers is insignificant.
Thanks Mark!