Spinnaker Halyard

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
Problem Child
Spinnaker Halyard

Post by Problem Child » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:24 pm

I am going to rig Problem Child for a spinnaker. First question: does the spinnaker halyard, at the "top" end of the mast, run through a bullet block just like the jib halyard runs through a bullet block? Thus the two blocks, the jib halyard block and the spinnaker halyard block, set side by side? And, therefore, if they are side by side, then is the spin halyard bullet block on the port side of the mast and the jib halyard bullet block is or its right side, or starboard of the spinnaker halyward bullet block?

Second question: are most boats using twinks to adjust the height of the spinnaker pole or are they using only a downhaul line for the spinnaker pole?

Third: are most racing boats running the spin sheets to the rear of the boat (through a block attached to the aft docking cleats) and then forward around the cabin top winches?

Would appreciate any input.

Tommy Smith
Problem Child
Mark I Hull 1188

Krysia Ry

Re: Spinnaker Halyard

Post by Krysia Ry » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Spin block is above the jib block Rules state 5.1 (1983) " The spinnaker halyard sheave shall be attached to the mast at a point not to exceed 22'8" above the deck".
cheers
Bill

Krysia Ry

Post by Krysia Ry » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Oh yeah, tweakers and both up and downhaul for pole. There are a number of ways people have set up the spin rig, often running from aft to blocks on the cabin bulkhead to clam cleats or...
Bill

Krysia Ry

Post by Krysia Ry » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:36 pm

https://www.facebook.com/26069763733434 ... =3&theater

If this doesn't get you to the photos, check out Kootenay Lake Sailing's Facebook page, San Juan 21 rebuild. I put a photo in there for you to see a spin set up
Cheers
Bill

Problem Child

Post by Problem Child » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Bill

Thanks for the info. Are most boats launching the spinnaker from out of the port side cabin? Or are most using bow bags (and, if so, where can I find one? lol)?

Tommy

Problem Child

Post by Problem Child » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Bill

So as not to mislead anyone who does not have a copy of the rules. Rule 5.1 (11) states 22 feet six inches instead of 22 feet eight inches. Thanks for directing me to that rule addition and to the diagram showing the height of the spinnaker sheave. Right???

T

Krysia Ry

Post by Krysia Ry » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:38 am

Sorry about the bad measurement, should have turned the light on.
Bill

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Problem Child wrote:Bill

Thanks for the info. Are most boats launching the spinnaker from out of the port side cabin? Or are most using bow bags (and, if so, where can I find one? lol)?

Tommy
Fleet 1 has a mix. Some bow baggers, but probably more cockpit launchers. The problem with a bow bag comes in when you race somewhere with multiple downwind legs. You either can't repack the bag, or have to launch from the cockpit anyways. If all you do is race 1 downwind leg bow bags are fine.

A few in Fleet 1 have attached a bar to the mast post about the same width as the cabin entryway, and run some line from that bar to the cabin, so that the cockpit launching bag can slide back towards the mast post on upwind legs, and then slide back for a launch when going downwind.

Thanks
Christian
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu