Funny backstay question...

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
Paulson
Funny backstay question...

Post by Paulson » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:20 am

Hi Folks,
I have a mark II that I race. I installed a control bridge over the campion way where I cleat off everything that isn't a sheet (3 halyards, gib downhaul, pole topping lift and downhaul, cunningham, boom vang, outhaul). I still have the fixed backstay, and would like to install an adjustable backstay.

Every adjustable backstay I've ever seen connects the bottom of the backstay to the transom, and arrangements of varying complexity are used to bring the free end forward. I've been wondering if it would be possible (practicable, not entirely crazy) to do it the other way - attach the bottom of the adjustable backstay to the transom, put a triple block at the top of the backstay and another on the mast. Then, run the adjustment down the mast, turn it at the baseplate, and cleat off the backstay adjustment on the control bridge.

It seems like this would work, but it gives me pause that I've never seen an arrangement like this. Thoughts?

Thanks much

kuriti

Re: Funny backstay question...

Post by kuriti » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:19 pm

I think it would work, but can only guess at why it isn't done. Probably get a lot of sail chafe, maybe even snag and tear the sail. Weight up high is bad and windage. Finally, if it jammed for some reason, would be hard to get at in a crisis, which undoubtedly would be when it happened. I have an adjustable backstay, but can't say i ever really adjust it. I don't race, but it is nice to release tension when bringing the mast up or down. My son and I can drop the mast underway to clear bridges. I bought a boom vang from Garhauer and it works great as a backstay adjustment.

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=38

Paulson

Re: Funny backstay question...

Post by Paulson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:04 pm

I hadn't thought about the backstay adjustment getting fouled, but I can easily imagine that happening. Alright, I'm sold. I'll put it in the normal spot. Thanks!