Genoa rigging and other sail advice (cross post)

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
kuriti
Genoa rigging and other sail advice (cross post)

Post by kuriti » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Okay, cross posting since I haven't gotten any hits from Fleet 1

Hey racers. I come hat in hand looking for advice. I got some great new sails thanks to Steve Youngson. He bought them for racing and these are my first new sails, having made the most of the two originals up until now. I have a new main, jib and genoa and took them out for the first time today. First of all, wow. Huge power difference between my old flour sacks. the wind was dead today at the start, 2-3 mph. However with the main and genoa up, I scooted along nicely. I dropped the ginny and put up the jib as the wind freshened. In 10-12 mph I was healed over to what would have before taken 15-17mph. The jib was much heavier to adjust. It was fun, but I have lots of questions I need answered. Hopefully yall can answer some or all:

-Genoa rigging: How should I be rigging the genoa? it is too big to go inside the shrouds, I went outside today and down to the jib fairlead, but it seems awkward. Is it time for spinnaker like block cars on the coachroof and a clutch/winch set up on the coamings? If so, recommendations on winches? Anybody got a pair they want to sell?

-Jib/Genoa sheet: If I did add new hardware for the genoa, it would make sense to rig sheets for both the jib and ginny if I thought they were going to be used, how does that work for sail changes? Attaching a shackle to the clew seems like a painful/damaging option. Is there a quick release method so you can just drop the sail and disconnect the clew from the sheet to change sails?

-Mainsail boltrope: Why a boltrope? My last sail had slugs. Is it just for racers who want to get all the shape they can and have no gap in between the mast? The boltrope is hard to strike and almost dangerous to me if you wanted to drop it in a hurry. It also requires removing the sail as opposed to flaking on the mast, which is a pain in the ass. I intend to convert it to slugs, but if anyone wants to advice me otherwise please do so.

-Backstay hitting mainsail: the mainsail has to touch the backstay to tack. Should I do something to protect it?

-Snap hanks: the hanks on both the ginny and jib are canvas straps with metal snaps. Why? Weight? They are a pain in the ass and can't be easily done or undone with one hand. Are there aftermarket spring loaded metal hanks that can convert these? If so, will the sail be too far away from the stay?

-Outhaul: One thing I really like is that the main is loose footed. Now my outhaul can really do something of use. What hardware do you have to gain leverage in such a tiny space? I have maybe 5 inches between the clew and end of the boom. What kind of cleat do you use for your outhaul? Also, are loose footed mains race legal?

-Halyard shackle: the head of jib/ginny are a loop of canvas as opposed to a grommet. My current shackle is just a large plain shackle. It is fiddly with the loop. Do yall have similar and if so what type of shackle do you use?

-Reef: There isn't one. Any reason I can't have one installed on a racing sail? How about two? I have actually been running with reefed main and no headsail and felt overpowered before. It was in the Pamlico Sound and we were riding the remnants of a tropical storm with gusts up to 30mph, so not a common issue, but it happened. In hindsight I should have switch to just the jib, but anyway, it would be nice to have one more stop if I am going to haul this thing to the sailmaker.

I think that is all for now. Thanks in advance to any or all of your answers.

cklamp

Re: Genoa rigging and other sail advice (cross post)

Post by cklamp » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Hey,

My MKI came with tracks and cars about the middle of the cockpit coamings, and the Genny absolutely goes out around the shrouds. Not sure what to tell you about changing it, as I don't fly it that often, and never once i'm out and about. Fleet 1 never races with them.

I've run both slugs and rope. If I was only ever cruising, sure i'd go slugs only. Stephen races with Slugs, and I don't think there's a hugely appreciable difference to either one in terms of racing, but the fastest racers i've seen are bolt rope only.

I haven't worried about the main hitting the backstay. Just let off the main a foot or two, and pull it back in and you're good.

No suggestions wrt the snaps. I haven't had any issues, or felt the need to change that setup.

Regarding outhaul, I run something similar to the "4:1 external cascade" here https://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3910 After the line passes through "cleat d" in the diagram it has about 8" or so before It goes to another block, and then another 8" before it get's tied off at a saddle. Pull down behind the block and you're going to loosen it, pull down in front of the block and you tighten it. Works simple.

I use a standard "halyard shackle" available at any rigging shop. You should be able to have a reef installed. Just about any sail shop should be able to help you out. I've never reefed, I take my ball and go home when the wind is that bad:)

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Update:

Had reef put in but haven't installed the winches yet. this fall/winter has been so wet in NC that the lake I use has been above flood stage and the marina closed so I haven't even gotten to use my new sails. sucks for me.

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:50 pm

kuriti wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:20 pm
Update:

Had reef put in but haven't installed the winches yet. this fall/winter has been so wet in NC that the lake I use has been above flood stage and the marina closed so I haven't even gotten to use my new sails. sucks for me.
I wouldn't even bother... I don't even use my winches that came with Mizu. The only times i've flown the genoa and needed some extra "pull" was when I had 3 people on board anyways. The Genoa really does overpower this boat fast!

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

Krysia Ry

Post by Krysia Ry » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:59 pm

When using my genoa, I run through the coaming block up to the same side cabin top winch and cross sheet to the high side winch. That way your weight is kept on the high side. Yes, loose footed has been legal in the class for about 8 yrs.
cheers
Bill