Clew Rigging When Reefing

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
jasonparallel1
Clew Rigging When Reefing

Post by jasonparallel1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Short version - How is the the rigging to the clew when reefed normally done?

Long version - The other boat I have sailed (a c22) had 2nd outhaul line setup for the reef. My sj21 boom has a hook for the tack when reefing but I'm not sure about the setup for the clew.

The port side of the boom has a ring that looks like it lines up with the reef point's clew and a horn cleat.

The starboard side has the main outhaul. There are also 4 holes that might have held another cheek block at some point. It is inline with the ring on the other side. Seems like it would have had to be further back to have been an outhaul for the reef point.

I'm not sure if I'm missing some hardware or if the intent is to rig it something like this with a loop to the main clew and use the main outhaul...

kuriti

Re: Clew Rigging When Reefing

Post by kuriti » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:56 pm

Since I usually know if I’m gonna need it or not given the conditions of set up, I don’t have mine rigged all the time. I don’t honestly know if mine is “right” but it has worked many times. I tie off my reefing line to the pad eye, then through the reefing grommet on the sail, then the cheek block. I used to just cleat it from there, but have since added a block hanging from the forward bail, then back to a block at the end of the boom, then to a cleat. This is not ideal in that it requires me to undo the main outhaul and lace the reefing outhaul, but that’s how it happens. If you don’t wait to reef until you are in the shit, it isn’t bad. I reef before dropping the jib, somewhere in the 18-20mph range.

Edit: I just realized your cheek block is very far aft on the boom. I think this is not original. The other holes you mentioned are where the original cheek block was and what I described above is likely not possible with your current set up given how far back your cheek block is.