Winter Repairs

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
kuriti
Winter Repairs

Post by kuriti » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:21 am

I am going into my second winter with my SJ and the next phase of refurbish is fast approaching. Last year you may remember I replaced all the standing and running rigging, drilled-epoxied all the through hull fittings, trailer maintenance and a new electrical system. I wanted a year of use before I painted so that I would know of any modifications I might want in advance.

This year I plan on painting the boat and finally naming her. I will also replace the trailer bunks/hardware and put on rail guides for loading. During this I would like to drop the keel to clean it up and make needed repairs including what I suspect is a bent keel bolt as well as replacing the keel gasket.

So my question to yall is this: Has anyone successfully dropped their keel in their driveway/garage? I know Charmed Juan has a good guide for putting it all the way down, but that doesn't seem necessary to just drop the whole thing out by removing the keel bolt. Assuming you had the boat off the trailer on supports, it seems to me you could create some kind of cradle that took the weight of the keel and then pull (whack) the keel bolt out. Then make your repairs/paint and reinstall.

Am I underestimating the unwieldiness of a 400 lbs chunk of fiberglass? Would it be easier (nominally more expensive) to have a boat yard pull it?

If I can successfully pull this off, my boat should be good for 10 years with only preventative maintenance.

thanks for any help,
kuriti

Krysia Ry

Re: Winter Repairs

Post by Krysia Ry » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:25 am

I remember seeing a post from Gene on this topic. I think he suggested putting some plywood under the boat (trailer?) and lifting the boat off the trailer, then pulling the trailer and keel out from under the boat. I plan on doing this too so I need to find out where I saw this info,(or I'll call Gene)
You are a mad man!
Bill

Krysia Ry

Post by Krysia Ry » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:27 am

Oh yeah, I think it was on Hubbards site.
Bill

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:22 am

good lead Bill, here is the link:

http://sanjuan21.net/msgs/9645.htm

More thoughts are welcome.

San Juan Sailboats

Post by San Juan Sailboats » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 pm

I have had my keel out twice on Charmed Juan.
I can lift my trailer on blocks, remove the axle and slide it forward out of the way of the keel so there is nothing underneath it.
Once that is done, I built a dolly using my exclusive 2X4 technology that will hold the keel in it's upright position as it comes out of the boat.
Lower the aft end keel onto the dolly, remove the pivot bolt by un-weighing the forward end with the keel cable and winch.
Once the bolt is out, lower the front end down with the cable and winch.
Then roll the keel out from under the boat.

Last time I did this, it took me an hour and a half. but I had practice.

Check out my article on keels here http://www.sj21fleet1.org/tips-and-tricks/keels

Stephen
Stephen Jensen

San Juan Sailboats
Stephen@SJSailboats.com

Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Your repair list seems logical & well-thought-out.:) While you have the keel out, you might have a good ogle at the plywood cheek plates surrounding the pivot bolt. Especially test the bottom couple inches for moisture -- leaks around the keel gasket screws often let water into the edges of the plywood (DAMHIKT). Best time to repair/replace those is while the keel is out.

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 am

Stephen, I have looked at your keel page no less than 30 times, but for some reason never registered the dolly's existence. That is exactly what i was thinking of. Now i must have faith in you that getting the keel bolt out and lowering it down is just that easy. How hard is it to get it realigned on the way back in?

Diarmuid, I intend to check the cheeks out. There was a post on the Hubbard sight by Gene that said the cheek plates were unnecessary and that he sold neoprene gaskets to stop water in their absence. Stephen, can you confirm this and if you still carry the gaskets? Anybody else excluded these or do you see them as structural?

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Never mind on my last post. i have revisited multiple pages on keel pivot bolts and found that Gene was referring to the need to glass in the bolt to prevent water coming through rather than support of the cheek plates. Also, there is extensive documentation for getting the keel back in alignment. Everything looks pretty straightforward, I guess it is just general apprehension on my part.