Jib sheet cleats

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
JimW
Jib sheet cleats

Post by JimW » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 am

Anyone have any experience with Spinlock PXR Powercleats? My current cam cleats are difficult to release under pressure and I am considering replacing them with the Spinlocks, which are supposed to be relatively easy to release. I also have a pair of original (unmounted) winches that I have considered mounting on the cabin top but somehow they seem like overkill for jib sheets (most of the time).

Also, best I can tell the "stock" location for jib cleats is far outboard on the cabin top. This is where mine are, and they always seem to interfere with the heads of my passengers sitting next to the bulkhead. This placement also leads to me having to constantly remind the lubbers to get off my lines. Any thoughts on the benefits to the outboard location for cleats? I would think more inboard mounting would be better from this respect and would also provide a better angle to the jib cars.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Jim W.
former 1979 mkII #2263 "Gabriola"

San Juan Sailboats

Re: Jib sheet cleats

Post by San Juan Sailboats » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:30 pm

The spin locks work well as long as you can pull the line straight down. You will need to have the cleat next to the bulkhead to do this.
Also, when the wind is up, it may be difficult to do this.
On my boat I have a pair of Clam Cleats mounted on the bulkhead. These come of the cabin mounted winches located on the edge of the deck.
These are very easy to get the line in from either side of the boat. I can even do it with my foot when on the high side.

Having said that, there is a secrete to un-cleating cam/clam cleats.
Instead of holding the line however many inches away from the cleat and pulling up, (your hand just travels in the radius of the amount of line you have) grab a foot or so of line, put your hand right next to the cleat and pull straight up sharply. This puts a high load jerk on the line and should un-cleat it.
Now, the single cam cleats that were stock on our boats are notorious for sticking, so replacing them with twin cam cleats will be an improvement.

Stephen
San Juan Sailboats
stephen@sjsailboats.com
Stephen Jensen

San Juan Sailboats
Stephen@SJSailboats.com

Mark Sailmaker

Post by Mark Sailmaker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:39 pm

We have a set of Harken 150 cam cleats mounted on risers near the inboard aft corners of the companionway slides, in line from the winch lead aiming toward the opposite side seat/coaming. The jib trimmer can sit on the high side, take a turn or 2 on the leeward winch and pull the sheet through the cam cleat. Releasing under load is a function of the ballbearing cam - even in big breeze, a quick jerk up on the sheet will get it out of the cams. The sheet tail will end up on the cockpit floor or down the companionway, not under someone's butt. I think the Spinlock cleats are not right for this application, as they contain the sheet and can impede the sheet feeding out fast enough for a tack to be completed quickly - too much chance of getting caught with the jib backed.

JimW

Post by JimW » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:27 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys . . . . Mark, do you have a picture of your setup handy?
former 1979 mkII #2263 "Gabriola"