Rigging Pictures

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
Helmar
Re: Rigging Pictures

Post by Helmar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Yes, I think so. I have rigged it as I seen some in other photos and it does seem to work well. I did find the Fiddle block. It was aboard the boat in a box of items that I missed. It has a small box of items that seem to be replacing the stuff that falls overboard :lol:

Ready to take her out once I get the license changed and new tags on her.

If she is setting at rest, is there any possibility she could take on water from the swinging keel box?
I have heard on other boats that if you are underway, and she dips down in a wake, that water would come up inside the boat.
Had a friend of mine pick up some sort of different sail boat that had swing down keel. He got it down towards the lower part of the Puget Sound and after about half the day, notice the boat was getting sluggish. He was just running on a kicker motor by the way.
He opened the cabin and did a Wholly Crap, grabbed the bilge pump and went to work. After she was pumped out (Which I guess was one real ordeal hand pumping) he left the cabin door open and noticed that when she dipped own in some of rolling swells that water was cumming up over the top of that area.

Mine is sealed on top, or so I think. She has a big step on, set your butt on plank over the top of the keel area that looked like would have been exposing the upper part of the keel.
Might be able to get a picture if one is needed..

Man, am SO ready to take her out and enjoy her. :mrgreen:

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:07 am

If your keel gasket is not completely rotted or absent, you shouldn't get too much water sloshing. The keel gasket is a strip of sail cloth under the boat running the length of the opening where the keel comes out, held on by aluminum strips. Mine was original and i don't get much water aboard, though new ones are supposed to work better.

Helmar

Post by Helmar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:33 pm

If that keel box is sealed as well as capped off, how can water get in the cabin area ??.
I don't want to start taking things apart. I see the gasket or covering of the keel box under the boat when I slide under it on the trailer.
Maybe I will go look for Keel gasket replacing and see what can be found :-)
Really want to thank you all for helping me with this :-)
Helmar

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:49 pm

Helmar,

It might not be sealed and capped off as well as you think:) A seal not perfect, the keel pin washers not laying flat, etc, etc, etc... Would it be enough to worry about? I never have.

Some keel info from the Fleet 1 site.. http://www.sj21fleet1.org/tips-and-tricks/keels The fairing from blaire is fantastic and I put together a DIY aluminum gasket. A strip of aluminum ripped down to size with a saddle screwed in for line attachment, a piece of "l" channel bolted to the back of the keel box to work as a stop, a saddle with a block near the top back of the keel box, and a through hull with a cleat up in front of the companionway door and you're done.

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

Helmar

Post by Helmar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Yep, that will sure do it. I can see all I need to see and know also understand what and how it works. :P

Thanks guys :)