Kick up rudder

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
Tbs54
Kick up rudder

Post by Tbs54 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:32 pm

Is there any other options to keep the rudder straight besides an elastic cord tied in a square knot? That's the way my rudder came - I understand the need for the elastic to keep the board straight but allow for bending when the time comes but is there a better way to connect the 2 ends?

gleninst

Re: Kick up rudder

Post by gleninst » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:42 am

I mounted a cleat on the rudder head and ran a continuous line from the existing hole in the leading edge of the rudder blade (where the original elastic cord passed) up thru the cleat and back down to a new hole drilled on the aft edge of the rudder blade. Depending on which leg of the line you make fast to the cleat, keeps the blade vertical while under way or the blade in the up position (horizontal) while moored. Granted while under way you lose the kick up feature that the bungee cord provides should you encounter an unexpected obstacle in the water. My thought is the keel provides protection to the rudder blade. If you are sailing in shallow waters, and your keel is partially lifted, don't secure the vertical leg of the line which allows the blade to lift up.