Spinnaker Rigging

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
The Duck #889
Spinnaker Rigging

Post by The Duck #889 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Just bought a Mk1 from a guy who was going to fis it up, but didnt. So he doesn't know how its supposed to be rigged. I can figure out the Pole and halyard easily enough, but where do the sheets and guys lead too?

Thanks
Ben Sebens: Mk1 (fixed keel) #889 "The Duck"

"I never have doubts. Ever. Occasionally, however, I have seen the need to revise expectation of outcome reflecting input of new anomalous data."

Ben G

Re: Spinnaker Rigging

Post by Ben G » Mon May 02, 2011 11:09 pm

Couple of diagrams are in this link. Hope the experts will chime in because I've yet to fly spinnaker and also need help.
http://www.sanjuan21.net/midwest/newdiagrams.htm
Ben Gibson/'77 Mk-II/#1864/cruiser/Greenville, SC

bluepearl

Post by bluepearl » Tue May 03, 2011 12:38 am

If you have genoa tracks on your boat, my spinnaker sheets just lead to blocks attached at the aft end of the genoa track.
Bob Abelin - National Commodore
#714 Blue Pearl MK 1

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Tue May 03, 2011 7:24 pm

#897 Mizu is rigged up similarly to the Diagram Ben has posted... But, I run the sheets similarly to BP. I run the sheets to the Genoa Blocks and then to the little swivel cleats behind those tracks. It works pretty well for me.

Some guys in Fleet 1 like those sheets being all the way in the back like on that diagram and I think Wooglin and Charmed Juan are rigged up similarly (2 of the fastest boats in Fleet 1). I'm not the fastest downwind, but that's more skipper related than anything. With the right skipper on my boat it's proven to be as fast as the fastest guys in our Fleet and capable of beating them so I don't think there's much of an advantage running them all the way aft over running them to the Genoa tracks. IMHO anyways.

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

bluepearl

Post by bluepearl » Tue May 03, 2011 11:50 pm

I did put some thought into where to put the blocks for the spinnaker and I ultimately decided that the back end of the jib track was a really good place. Having them forward of the far back of the boat does several good things. First off, if you are flying the spinnaker in any breeze at all I found that having the sheets lead way back does nothing for you. In fact, if the sheets are run too far back they slide across the bottom of the boom. So having them slightly farther forward doesn't hurt you at all as far as I can tell. Also, having them farther forward frees up some room in the cockpit and keeps the sheets from crossing the cockpit and tangling with everyone and everything. Another bonus is having them on the track makes them really easy to remove and you can move them to the front end of the track in a blow which eliminates the need for twings.
Bob Abelin - National Commodore
#714 Blue Pearl MK 1