New to the sj world.

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
Jason2002
New to the sj world.

Post by Jason2002 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:27 pm

One just recently took charge of a old mk1 , from a avid sailor, that unfortunately due to health has been unable to use it for a few years now. He traveled from Seattle to Alaska and back numerous times in the tiny thing. Probably not something I will attempt anytime soon lol.

Anyway back to the boat and myself. I've dreamed of traveling around the globe on a boat but finances have never been, shall we say, secure enough to even think about attempting that.
So this little boat " the blue dove" and local waters will be my introduction back into sailing after half a lifetime of being a landlubber.

This brings me to the issues I face. Being short on cash and the fact the boat sat in storage and since we all know how things tend to find legs and walk off over time...... especially in storage. I unfortunately find myself without any sails.

So here goes the big question. Do any of you have any old but serviceable sails. Primarily the gib/genoa?
I have a serviceable main sail that looks like it won't just fall appart and plan on getting some time in on the water with just that. However to go explore once I have the confidence and a little more experience, I will need more than just that.
I'm not looking for a free handout by any means ( although on my budget that won't hurt)
Just something not to costly that will get me by until I can save up for better.

So far I've got the boat and trailer registered, put a new battery in and have a small solar panel to install to keep the charge. I've stepped the mast and examined the stays etc. ( Need a new back stay asap :( fortunately I found a site that sells them for a little $75 so not a bank breaker next month.)

Now to finish cleaning her up and hope tomorrow or Sunday will afford me the opportunity to take her to a local lake and test out the drop down keel. Visual inspection of that from the top seems to indicate it's all good. Wish me luck.

If anyone has some ideas or advice, please feel free to comment.
Thanks.

Roamer

Re: New to the sj world.

Post by Roamer » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I'm very new myself, and also recently purchased an old Mk 1.

The biggest thing to remember is to pull the keel up off of the trailer to launch, then lower it and insert the lock bolt once in the water. After sailing, DON'T FORGET TO PULL THE LOCK BOLT b4 raising the keel. Once on the trailer, lower the keel onto the trailer, to save the winch and cable from the banging and jerking of traveling back home.

Sorry, can't help with sails.

BTW, where are you?

George

Jason2002

Post by Jason2002 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:04 pm

I'm at the far nw. A little place called Forks Wa. Better known for its fictional vampires and werewolves. But really gr8 salmon fishing.
Thanks for the advice on dropping the keel down for trailing. The owners had gone through the whole bolting thing etc. But did fail to mention relaxing the tension on the cable during transit.
I have it a quick inspection and indeed it seems to be the way they had left it. So most likely a oversight on there part, forgetting to tell me.
I have one small lake I can launch at about 17 miles from my house and a really beautiful, Crystal clear one about 30+ miles away. That being my future destination of choice. Lol I however will need many hours of practice before I attempt that large and often very windy lake. Past that I will launch in the straights and head to explore the islands of San Juan.
Who knows, by the end of next summer I may just be the salty old dog I've often dreamed I wanted to be.
Then to find a renter , get a bigger boat and proof Tahiti here I come... Damn, I just woke up again and found my coffee has got cold again.
We can still dream.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:47 pm

Just looked up Forks, WA in Google maps. Beautiful country. Just be very careful braking in curves on wet pavement. Particularly on down grades. The trailer without brakes can jacknife you faster than you can react.