Rescued SJ21

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
LButcher
Rescued SJ21

Post by LButcher » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:37 pm

Through a series of happy circumstances I've just become the proud owner of a 1974 SJ21 Mark 1. I'm relatively new to Maine having moved from Bellingham, WA. I've been going through sailboat withdrawal since arriving. This boat has been stored under a steadily disintegrating tarp for the last 12 years. The sails (6 of them) and bow cushions were stored indoors and seem to be in good condition. When we opened up the cabin I discovered about 6" of standing water. After siphoning out the water, (and wishing there was a drain plug somewhere), I changed tires and hooked the trailer up for the trip home. In spite of her initial appearance she seems be sound. I haven't come across any soft spots in the decks or the transom. The only damage I've seen so far is a broken spreader arm where it connects to the mast.
The title for the boat and trailer were from VA, so I assume that's where she last sailed. I'm looking forward to getting her back in the water, though probably not until next season, and sharing my love for sailing with my grand daughters out here on the right coast.

Cheers,
Lon
IMG_0275[1].JPG
As I found her...
IMG_0275[1].JPG (54.64KiB)Viewed 13047 times
IMG_0276.JPG
Interesting traveler... I haven't seen them sitting this high on other boats.
IMG_0276.JPG (43.92KiB)Viewed 13047 times
IMG_0294.JPG
Ready for the trip home where she awaits a good scrubbing.
IMG_0294.JPG (48.71KiB)Viewed 13047 times