New owners hull #1629

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
jlapp
New owners hull #1629

Post by jlapp » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:08 am

Greetings everyone my wife Glenda and I recently purchased a San Juan 21.

We didn't really know much about the history of the boat or its class until the night before we went to look at it. We are not racers by any means and I was a bit surprised to see all the wiring cut out of the cabin. Regardless it was very clean, the trailer is pretty good for the age, and the motor ran fine so we took it home.

We've been having some troubles with the motor since and have not been able to get the keel down, but long story short we got a new motor and I've cleared several pounds of pine needles and barnacles out of the keel trunk and got the gaskets unstuck between the keel and the trunk.

I'm hopeful we'll be able to get out and motor AND sail now.

We are going to be more into weekend cruising and weekday sailing when the weather permits.

We are struggling with naming the boat, does anyone know of a repository of names for SJ21's so we don't reuse one?

Gman377

Re: New owners hull #1629

Post by Gman377 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:02 am

Hello Jlapp! There are several of us diehards still out here so welcome to the forum! I myself have been rebuilding a 1984 MKIII and these forums have been sooo helpful in doing so. I would love to see some pics of the new girl if you can upload them. I hope she's in good shape, there is a lot of useful info here in these forums if you need. Stephan at sjsailboats.com is the only known source for for parts for San Juans in the world, I think, if you need some. Good luck!
Last edited by Gman377 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

jlapp

Post by jlapp » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:45 am

I keep meaning to take pictures... I'll get on that.

I have learned a lot reading through the forums. Looks like interest has waned over the years, but I'm glad there are still enough hulls out there that there are plenty of people familiar with the boats.

She's pretty clean and no soft spots, but it looks like someone did a transom job of sorts (again I'll get pictures). Seems solid enough but the inside wood is not glassed or treated. Was pretty disappointed to have missed that when we bought it. Inexperience combined with over exuberance I suppose.

I have some penetrating epoxy and plan on doing what I can to take care of that in the fall.

jlapp

Post by jlapp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:07 am

I took a bunch of pictures, but they are apparently too large. The original ad picture, from when we just bought it, I'm including here.
Attachments
JTM_Ad_Pic.jpg
pic from ad
JTM_Ad_Pic.jpg (41.32KiB)Viewed 20403 times

jlapp

Post by jlapp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 am

We all know what they look like, here is a shot of the interior. We have all the cushions out as we are doing the final prep for our week-long trip to the San Juan/Gulf Islands.
Attachments
JTM_companion-way.jpg
JTM_companion-way.jpg (72.15KiB)Viewed 20403 times

jlapp

Post by jlapp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 am

Ok, I'm going to try multiple attachments. I figure we all know what the outside looks like. These are mostly interior, with a shot of that weird transom repair job.
Attachments
JTM_PT_Interior_aft.jpg
JTM_PT_Interior_aft.jpg (37.83KiB)Viewed 20402 times
JTM_interior_fore.jpg
JTM_interior_fore.jpg (33.71KiB)Viewed 20402 times
JTM_SB_interior_aft.jpg
JTM_SB_interior_aft.jpg (34.16KiB)Viewed 20402 times

jlapp

Post by jlapp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:29 am

Okay, too many attachments here is the transom job.

I have put some of Dr Rot's penetrating epoxy on those boards since we got it. I just didn't like how that bare plywood looked.... though I'm certainly glad it was dry!
Attachments
JTM_Transom_Inside.jpg
JTM_Transom_Inside.jpg (37.84KiB)Viewed 20402 times

Gman377

Post by Gman377 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:17 am

Hello again jlapp, I hope you have had her out without problems now! Wow she is pretty clean. I am no expert on these SJ21s but I have now personally seen several as they are making their way into Tennessee. Yes somebody definitely did a rear bulkhead re-fit haphazardly. In one of the boats I had someone had totally cut it out. I know it would be a PIA but if you can glass it in in it would have much more strength as I think it is probably moving slightly when you sail now. I really like the rubber mats you put down on the floor, I think I have to get me some of those! Did you put in new windows? If not you did well to have such clear windows. Also if you will go to the SJ21 Class association main page then go to the "more boats" link there is a registry of boat names as of 2009 I think but it is a start. Good luck!

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:07 am

Is that the transom? Looks like the wall that separates the lazarette from the cabin to me. If so, it isn’t really structural and only needs to be air tight if you carry gas in the lazarette.