New SJ21 Owner

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
kuriti
New SJ21 Owner

Post by kuriti » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:56 am

This is a redundant post with one I put upon the Fleet 1 forum. I didn't realize these were separate forums. If this is a forum no-no, please let me know the proper protocol:

Hello,

I am now the proud owner of a Mark II SJ21. I am not sure of the hull number but it is a 1976 with ID CLK216140576. I have been researching boats of this size for several months now and had my heart set on a SJ. I looked at a Hunter 19, Precision 19 and West Wight Potter 19 but held out till i could find a good SJ. I found a very nice boat in the sailing mecca of Western (not West) Virginia, up in the mountains. I am in Raleigh, NC. Not sure if the previous owner spent much time on these forums, but he was certainly aware of the resource.

The boat is very sound, just needs an engine, some cushions, new blocks and an anchor. the blocks are serviceable, but i will upgrade them. I bought this for taking out my family (wife, 8yr old boy and 5 yr old girl) and my general love of sailing. I learned to sail on a 13' capri we had when i was a teen. i have rented and bummed my way aboard on several smaller boats since. I was in the peace corps in the pacific and had my own hand built proa canoe. My buddy has a 21' hobie which is a blast. i also crewed on a 48' Fountaine-Pajot cat from New Bern to Saint Augustine a few years ago. So, lots of small boat experience and now looking to get the family aboard and teach my boy to sail.

I look forward to getting to know all of you electronically and maybe even in person some day. Thanks in advance for this resource, i am sure i will have a steady stream of newbie questions.

cheers,

chris
(Kuriti, my username, is the Kiribati spelling of Chris. Kiribati is the island chain i lived on during the peace corps. their "ti" is pronounced as an "s")

TomD

Re: New SJ21 Owner

Post by TomD » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Congrats on the purchase. I am about a year into sailing mine. They are amazing boats for their size. Enjoy!

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Chris,

Not a problem at all, you're more than welcome to post in Fleet 1's forum's as well. I saw your post there and here:) welcome to the group!

Later
Christian
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

Capndar

Post by Capndar » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Fleet 8 at the Blackbeard Sailing Club(new bern) and Fleet 38 at Lake Norman Yacht Club (Mooresville) are both very active - helpful folks at both clubs.

Mike R
#1694 Ragtop

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Capndar,

I plan on visiting Blackbeard this spring/summer. I am about halfway through my refit and am excited about hitting both sounds and the outer banks. I will give a big shout out before I head yalls way and hope to meet some of you.
Cheers,
kuriti