SJ and sail newbie (sorta)

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
HappyHookerOne
SJ and sail newbie (sorta)

Post by HappyHookerOne » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:36 am

Hello all.

Just traded a not-so-needed Mossberg (according to the wife) for an '81 SJ 21. Hasn't been in the water since '95, so I thought with the free time I have with no tourists in town, I'd give her a much needed freshening up that the previous owner had started. Unfortunately, I have no experience on anything larger than a Hobie 16, and its been a few years, at least with sails that is.

I have brand new sails (main, jib, genoa) but absolutely no useful running rigging. I do have a seriously degraded mainsheet, but would like to change from the stock configuration to something that won't have so much slack that could potentially wrap and pull a 3 yr old over the side on a jibe. Would like suggestions on routing all of my controls to the cockpit, and lengths, for single handing the boat since my wife has no clue what a block is, let alone sheets and halyards. Any pictures along with suggestions would be great. I would rather take the opinions of everyone on here who has actually owned a SJ versus the "yeah I used to charter MONTH long charters" town drunk at the dock.

Thanks guys and I'm sure you will tire of my questions eventually. :D

Jesse
happyhookerone.com

cguthrie

Re: SJ and sail newbie (sorta)

Post by cguthrie » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 pm

I think the best place to start is the Fleet 1 website. They have lots of pictures and articles about San Juans and there's a link right on our class website that will take you there.
Good Luck,

Cal Guthrie
Yellow Juan, Blue Juan, & Speedy Juan

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Welcome aboard! I converted to the "head knocker" that many racers use last year from the stock set up, but plan to return to stock with updated blocks. I never felt comfortable with how difficult it was to release and cleat the mainsheet on the headknocker, especially under load. I also didn't like the rope traveler interfering with rudder install and removal. I have kids on board and never worried about my rope spaghetti flinging one overboard in a jybe with the stock setup. All the sheets under pressure are up high and everything on deck has to go through the cleat on the floor. For cruising, i see the stock set up as best.

Here are running and standing rigging lengths for my MKII rigged for singlehanding:

http://www.sj21class.org/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=20&t=141

Stephen has the best resource for rigging ideas on the fleet 1 forum:

http://www.sj21fleet1.org/tips-and-tric ... ded-set-up

Best of luck!

Kuriti

HappyHookerOne

Post by HappyHookerOne » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Been lurking around for a while and actually kuriti, I have your lists bookmarked as a reference for measurements I was coming up with on my own. Also had given Stephen's article a few glances. Thanks guys, I'll try to get some pics up once I get her cleaned out and all of my deck fittings off and the years of black off the deck.

Capndar

Post by Capndar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Welcome We are glad you are here