New owner on Eastern Shore of Chesapeake

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
BrooksB
New owner on Eastern Shore of Chesapeake

Post by BrooksB » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi All,

I didn't mean for this to be so long. Meant to write much sooner so a bit of a back log.

Many years experience in many small boats - Windmill, Lightening, Laser, 470, tanzer 16, Melonseed and, after retirement to Cambridge, MD in 2004, got a Farrier trimaran, F27. Decided I wanted a long cruise experience and got a Nonsuch 30 and did ICW, FL Keys, Bahamas. But its been there, done that, and only sailed 300 miles out of 3000 so looked for a small boat to SAIL the Chesapeake Bay and SJ21 sounded perfect. Swing keel has already saved me twice. It's not IF you run aground here, it's how often.

My intent is to mainly day sail and cruise but like to try some racing PHRF and hopefully a San Juan regatta or two. I've determined it will be a SAIL boat so bought a trolling motor - top speed 4 knts with no head wind. Plan to trailer to various spot on Bay, NC, and maybe FL

This will be first boat I've named - says something about my commitment - and thought I'd like to match the font of the San Juan 21 lettering on the cabin side. Anyone know what it is? Or is it even a standard? She'll be called: "Silent Music".

Got my SJ 21 MK II last summer but unplanned events kept me to 3 sails - starting with 18+ knots - was very comfortable and really love the boat. Converted main to slugs and added a single reef point (probably close to a normal second reef). This Spring I did some bottom paint cleanup, added the metal version of the keel gasket, new keel winch and cable, installed a mast gate gadget for slugs, worked out single handed mast raising using a crude gin pole and cabin top winch which worked perfectly first time (my ideas NEVER work the first time so was way over due). Working on getting time to launch and retrieve to a minimum at the moment. Plan to rig the jib down haul next. Dealing with issues with motor mount (a PITA - hard to lift the 20 lb trolling motor! - no helper springs) and getting used to the trolling motor (reverse is useless and also easy to get confused which way to twist for more power if you use it) - but it ALWAYS starts and it's not quiet, it's silent (which is curiously, can be a negative - you can't hear changes in power ). I think because I'm determined to make motor work, it will. Note: I've studied pros and cons every place I could find them so not naive and nor recommending this for anyone else. And I'll change my mind if reality smacks me hard enough. Also, I have the one absolutely essential sailor quality - I'm lucky. (My theory is if Neptune sees you're trying hard not to use it, he steps in when you really need it.)

I'm going to try the motor mount in a fixed position next time and just see how that works. Trolling motor has shortest possible shaft but still loooong so have a lot of play there. If not, thinking of going to the Gairelick 71040 - MOTOR BRACKET, ALUMINUM H.P. Rating: To 8 Motor Weight Not to Exceed: 59 lb. Any inputs on this subject are welcome.

Nice to join you all and looking fwd to being with you for a long time. I'm just a little bit excited about this boat.

Brooks

kuriti

Re: New owner on Eastern Shore of Chesapeake

Post by kuriti » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:09 am

Welcome aboard! I think most of us are excited about our boats, so you are in good company. It is also why i like this boat and community. I am in Raleigh and want to explore the Chesapeake, so maybe we will run into each other.

Cheers,
Chris

WindSteeler

Re: New owner on Eastern Shore of Chesapeake

Post by WindSteeler » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Hello Brooks,

Good to see another east coast SJ21! I bought mine two days ago and I'm in the honeymoon phase of a new boat checking out all the blogs and seeing what others have done. Where do you put in? I had an S2 8.0 I kept on the Bohemia but didn't use enough to warrant the slip fees and storage. She had a shoal keel and didn't point worth a damn unless I was sailing under small coast advisories :o so I went with the San Juan after reading about her light air capabilities (the admiral didn't like going out in a storm). From what I can see "WindSteeler" is in pretty good shape, I'm a big Pittsburgh Steelers fan and the yellow hull didn't hurt selling her :lol: can't wait to splash her in the spring!

John