Norm Waggy #2118 Santa Marita

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
Norm Waggy
Norm Waggy #2118 Santa Marita

Post by Norm Waggy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:08 am

MANY thanks to all who have put together this site, and to Jim Hubbard for his work over the years on the Harbor. I haven't had other SJ owners nearby, so have learned most all I know about these neat little boats by reading these websites.
A bit (probably too much!) about myself/boat: In Jan. 2005 we bought #2118 Santa Marita (named after our daughter Marita even if she isn't always perfectly saintly!) We live in northern IN, and trailersail her exclusively: usually on Lake Wawasee 30 minutes away, or Lake Michigan out of Michigan City 75 minutes away. I'm not a racer, but instead have set her up for cruising, and love taking people out to introduce them to sailing or just to visit as we sail. In the first 3 years alone my logbook indicates we took out over 140 DIFFERENT people over 95 outings. We have it down to 20 minutes from when we pull up to the launch ramp until we're on the water. (Same for taking out.) Our 3 children have "left the nest" but our 25 yr old son has done the ASA classes with me and is an avid sailor too. Our 1 yr old granddaughter was out several times last year, and 2 weeks ago I had a 60 yr old, 2 in their 80s, and my 91 yr old father on the boat! I mostly sail on Wed. or Thurs. afternoons when not in my office, or on Saturdays.
We've also been known to stretch the sailing season here in northern Indiana: our earliest outing was on a January 3, the latest on a Dec. 16. I have yet to sail in Feb., but that's only because the lakes have always been frozen! (We were surprised last year on Lake Michigan when we rounded the bend at the MI City launch ramp on March 16, to find 1/2 inch thick ice between us and the lighthouse in the basin. These SJ21s do well in that much ice, by the way!)
My wife is not thrilled with sailing, but gamely accompanies me when I can't find someone else to take along. We'll see how the spring weather treats us at the end of May, when we are planning a 3-day cruise on Lake Michigan and Lake Macatawa, near Holland, MI. 2 friends have bought SJ21s after sailing with us, and will be a part of that end-of-May cruise.
I apologize if this is too long. I hope it gives a feel for us. Fair winds,
Norm Waggy

TomD

Re: Norm Waggy #2118 Santa Marita

Post by TomD » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Welcome to the forum! That wasn't too long at all. Look forward to seeing some pictures of your boat and cruises soon!

BrooksB

Re: Norm Waggy #2118 Santa Marita

Post by BrooksB » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi Norm,

I just posted here for first time and then started reading. I'm very impressed by :
" In the first 3 years alone my logbook indicates we took out over 140 DIFFERENT people over 95 outings. We have it down to 20 minutes from when we pull up to the launch ramp until we're on the water. (Same for taking out.) "

I also plan on taking a lot of people out.

Do you have a list of procedures and such that would help me get to 20 minutes? There are some obvious things and I'm working on them but don't like re-inventing wheel. Hard to believe you don't have some checklists and gimmicks.

Just had fifth sail this year so off to a good start. Hope you have a great season.

Brooks