#2263 in Ann Arbor

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
JimW
#2263 in Ann Arbor

Post by JimW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:04 am

Hello!

This past February our family become the proud owners of a 1979 mkII (which shall go unnamed for now--we are in the middle of the de-naming process). We've been sailing on borrowed boats the past several years, and I spent most of last year fixing and sailing a "free" 1972 O'Day Widgeon (very good learning boats, by the way). When we decided to move up to a bigger boat that we could weekend in around the Great Lakes, the SJ21 stood out from the crowd in many aspects that were important to me: lightweight, easily trailerable and easy to setup for an afternoon sail, reasonably quick and engaging to sail, roomy enough to sleep two adults and our two boys (ages 7 and 11), cheap, and with an active owners' community.

While I didn't find any local examples to inspect in person at the time (though I got a very nice offer from Norm in Indiana), I felt comfortable enough based on what I'd read at The Harbor and the various other SJ21 websites to pack up the boys and drive from Ann Arbor almost to St. Louis to pick one up. Our maiden voyage on Lake Erie this past Sunday was really nice and we look forward to more adventures on the water. These are really great little boats.

Any other San Juan 21 sailors in Southeast Michigan?

Jim Wallace.
former 1979 mkII #2263 "Gabriola"

TomD

Re: #2263 in Ann Arbor

Post by TomD » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing some pics of the boat sailing soon!

Norm Waggy

Re: #2263 in Ann Arbor

Post by Norm Waggy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:49 am

Welcome, Jim! Glad it went well for you!
Norm