Moonspinner

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
Moonspinner
Moonspinner

Post by Moonspinner » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 pm

I am Danny White, a new member of the SJ21 forum. My boat is a San Juan 21 MarkII named Moonspinner. I believe it was previously owned by Ron White who sailed it in Kansas. We sail out of the Lake Hefner Boat Club in Oklahoma City Oklahoma. I have only owned the boat for about a month but have raced on San Juan's and Catalina 22's for about a year now. We have been experiencing a problem of the jib sheets catching on something on the front of the mast when tacking. Possibly a spinnaker ring. Curious to know if anyone else has had this problem or advice on how to solve the problem.

Mark Sailmaker

Re: Moonspinner

Post by Mark Sailmaker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi Danny - Welcome to the crowd. If your jib or genoa sheets are catching on the mast ring, make sure you have all the slack out of the weather sheet before you tack. Turn the boat in an arc of gradually decreasing radius - don't turn too fast, use your boatspeed to go directly to weather for a moment or so. Let the jib back for about 2 feet back from the luff - this will help turn the boat without more rudder movement and also propel the sail to the new tack. Tail the new sheet FAST - letting the jib bang around and throw the old sheet in the air is the likely culprit. Have fun!

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:46 pm

One other thing I've noted that can make this, or increase it happening, is having the leach line loose. Tighten that up too.

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

Moonspinner

Post by Moonspinner » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks for the input.