Javier & Mayte #2379

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
javsj
Javier & Mayte #2379

Post by javsj » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi everyone,
We are the new owners of a San Juan 21 (Mk II, 1980; sail 2379) and loving it. This was formerly Juan2bFree, and may continue to be. We sail mainly in Western PA (Lake Arthur, Pymatuning) and NY (Chautaqua, Finger Lakes). Since 2007 we have been members of Moraine Sailing Club based at Lake Arthur, where we race Laser and Sunfish (Javier) and Flying Scot (Javier, Mayte and our daughter Arbil). We were looking for a versatile boat that would be suitable for weekend cruising, easy to trailer, but also fast and fun to sail. The San Juan 21 seemed just the ticket. Our only misgiving was the fact that it is no longer in production, but finding that it is supported by active fleets and a great class association took care of that, as did the ability to find plentiful maintenance information and sailing tips here, at Jim Hubbard's Harbor and at individual fleet sites. It also helped that a former SJ21 owner at our club waxed ecstatic about the boat. We bought Juan2bFree in September 2010 and were able to sail it during the last four weekends of our season. We were not disappointed and are looking forward to much more. I also learned of a SJ fleet racing at Prince Gallitzin, not far away, and several other members of our club are getting interested as well, so we may see some growth in Western PA.

We hope to meet some of you sometime!

TomD

Re: Javier & Mayte #2379

Post by TomD » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!

tjcafarrand

Re: Javier & Mayte #2379

Post by tjcafarrand » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:31 am

Hello Javier! It looks like our boats were made only days or weeks apart. I hope you'll love your SJ21 as much as we do. For a keel boat, it's fairly responsive and speedy. It's taken us a few years to get a feel for how far we can push her, but we're getting there. We've replaced the cabin cushions (not cheap!) and installed a nice waterproof stereo. My wife wants to take her out on Lake Michigan for a weekend cruise, but I'm not so sure, just yet. Take care and, Happy Sailing.
Tom