Charmed Juan checking in

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
San Juan Sailboats
Charmed Juan checking in

Post by San Juan Sailboats » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Hey Everyjuan,
I have owned Charmed Juan since 2000. I started to race her in 2001 and have been doing it ever since.
I am currently the Race Chairman for Fleet 1 in Seattle but have been Fleet 1’s Captain, Vice captain as well as webmaster. I was also the National Assn. Western Region Vice Commodore and Commodore for a year each.
The boat is rigged for single-handing and I have been doing mostly that for the last couple of years.
She is rigged with Jib downhaul that lets me drop the jib from the cockpit. A center cockpit mounted Traveler that is a pain in the shins but great for gusty conditions. A split back stay with lines led to the cockpit, the last thing I want to do in a gust is go aft to pull the backstay. A Masthead boom lift keeps the boat on its feet when the main is going up or coming down, it also allows me to lift or un-weigh the boom in light winds.
Charmed Juan has been a great adventure and learning tool. I am looking forward to years of sailing with her.
Attachments
blue spinnaker.jpg
blue spinnaker.jpg (50.94KiB)Viewed 9626 times
Stephen Jensen

San Juan Sailboats
Stephen@SJSailboats.com

TomD

Re: Charmed Juan checking in

Post by TomD » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:37 am

Thanks for the post. When you get a chance I would like to see pics of you rigging and any advice for single handing w/ a spinnaker.

Thanks!

San Juan Sailboats

Post by San Juan Sailboats » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:22 pm

I have an article on single handed set up on our website. http://www.sj21fleet1.org/
http://www.sj21fleet1.org/tips-and-tric ... ded-set-up
Stephen Jensen

San Juan Sailboats
Stephen@SJSailboats.com

TomD

Post by TomD » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Great Article! Anything you would change now that you have been sailing it like that for a while?