TomD & Blackjack

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
TomD
TomD & Blackjack

Post by TomD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I am a relatively new SJ21 sailor but have some prior limited sailing experience on larger racer/cruiser sailboats and owning a Sea Pearl 21. My previous racer/cruiser sailing was mostly as a grinder, packing chutes, or rail meat :roll: but I was bitten by the sailing bug and aspired to own my own boat one day. I bought the Sea Pearl 21 think it would be a good gunk-hole boat and fun to sail in the shallow coastal waters of Florida. I quickly realized that it was a unique sailing experience and wanted something more traditional that would allow me to sail with my local club the Lake Monroe Sailing Association in Sanford, FL. They are a great group that has a bunch of active racers. Also in that group was a bunch of San Juan 21 owners who shared with me all of the great qualities of these boats. For me the ability to race competitively, trailer easily, retract the keel and pull up to the beach, and fit my family of four for overnight trips was perfect. I am enjoying this boat a lot. Being 25 years old I think I will always have some work to do to keep it in sailing condition but I am happy I am spending reasonable amounts of money on an affordable boat and not a fortune on something bigger.

I renamed by boat Blackjack. Here is some pics. I look forward to plenty of discussions on this site!

TomD

Re: TomD & Blackjack

Post by TomD » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:32 pm

More Pics!

Black Jack

Post by Black Jack » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:21 am

Tom,
Interesting coincidence about the boat names and sail number. I bought my San Juan21 named Black Jack in 2009. Being from Blackbeard Sailing Club in Eastern NC my kids liked the name Black Jack as they thought it sounded lie a pirate so we kept it. My sail number is 2403.

Hope you are enjoying your Black Jack as much as I am mine.

Dan Bornarth
Black Jack # 2403

TomD

Post by TomD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 pm

Too Funny. I usually pick names with multiple meanings. I named mine after another boat I sailed back in the 90's. I thought it was fitting for the San Juan since Blackjack is 21 when playing cards and the boat is 21 feet. The pirate reference didn't hurt either.

Black Jack

Post by Black Jack » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:17 am

The previous owner on my boat also like the reference to the card game. The sail numbers with all the same digits and only the last two reversed between the two boats is an interesting coincidence.

Big weekend coming up with the NA's. Hoping we get a good turn out.

Dan