SJ 21 Eastern Nationals at Lake Norman

Race Reports, Notice of Race, and Rules Discussions
Capndar
SJ 21 Eastern Nationals at Lake Norman

Post by Capndar » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:22 pm

San Juan 21 fleet 38 hosted the Eastern National Championships @ LNYC in conjunction with the Labor Day Regatta. The event brought in 20 SJ’ers from Illinois, Maine, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Virginia, South and North Carolinas. Boats and sails were weighed and measured on Friday, and a full set of practice races were run on Friday afternoon in 5-8 mph and no chop. The Friday night social (featuring Capn dar & Friends) raised over $500 for Special Olympic Sailing.

While Saturday was a complete washout for sailing, the social scene was buzzing around the Chesser/Lassen RV. A great Saturday evening dinner with lawn games (corn hole, etc) finished up the day. Sunday’s start time was moved up and three good (and one questionable) races were run. Congratulations to Justin Chambers of Atlanta for winning WS, and Dick Dommel from Columbia taking AS. ( I am trying to load a pdf but is says not allowed)
While out of town folks took the top awards on the race course, Fleet 38 had several bright spots as Jery and Gene Lane took 4th, and Kevin and Amy Robinson took 5th in working sails. Former fleet 38 member Hans Lassen was 2nd in All Sails. As a testament to how competitive the event was, after 4 races in a 16 boat fleet, 5th place through 12th place were separated by a mere 9 points. Congratulations to first timers at a Nationals Louisa Cox and Amanda Robinson.

Many thanks to those working behind the scenes, including Mike Chesser, Mike Shaw and Steve Jones. Special thanks to our sponsors – Doyle/Inner banks Sails, APS and Dieball Sailing.

Don't forget the Carolina Keel Boat One Design Championships on Nov 8-9, and it is never to early to plan on the Midwinter/Early Spring Championships at LNYC in March 2015

Next Year’s Nationals event is in June at New Bern, NC.
Last edited by Capndar on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Capndar

Re: SJ 21 Eastern Nationals at Lake Norman

Post by Capndar » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 pm

But it let me add a 'jpeg"...LOL
Attachments
working sails.jpg
working sails.jpg (91.88KiB)Viewed 20495 times
all sails.jpg
all sails.jpg (30.84KiB)Viewed 20495 times

kuriti

Re: SJ 21 Eastern Nationals at Lake Norman

Post by kuriti » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:17 pm

I am really bummed i didn't get to attend this race. Life intervened, but I am still determined to get to a race some time soon. hope yall had fun!